Create a summary count by month with COUNTIFS in Excel
In Excel, we can use the COUNTIFS function to count cells with given criteria, this tutorial will show you how to use this COUNTIFS function along with EDATE function to create a summary count by month in Excel.
To create a summary count by month, you can use a formula based on the COUNTIFS and EDATE functions, the generic syntax is:
- date_range: The list of dates you want to count;
- first_day_of_month: The cell that contains the first day of the month.
Assuming you have a list of dates in column A, now, you want to get a total count based on some specific months. In this case, you should enter the first days of the months that you want to count as below screenshot shown:
Then, please apply the following formula into a blank cell to put the result:
And then, drag the fill handle to copy this formula to other cells you need, and the total number of cells which belong to the certain month have been returned at once, see screenshot:
Explanation of the formula:
- The COUNTIFS function is used to count the number of cells based on multiple criteria, in this formula, C2 is the first day of the month.
- To get the total count per month, you need to provide another criteria –the first day of next month. This can be returned by using the EDATE function.
- The whole formula means that the dates to be counted must be greater than or equal to the date in cell C2 and less than the first day of next month provided by the EDATE function.
Relative function used:
- The COUNTIFS function returns the number of cells that meet one single criterion or multiple criteria.
- The COUNTIFS function returns serial number which is n months in future or past.
- Count Number Of Dates By Year, Month
- When working on Excel worksheet, sometimes, you may want to count the cells where dates from a given year or month as below screenshot shown. To solve this task in Excel, you can use the SUMPRODUCT, YEAR and MONTH functions to create formulas to count the number of dates belongs to the specific year or month as you need.
- Count Number Of Cells Between Two Values / Dates
- Have you ever tried to get or count the number of cells between two given numbers or dates in Excel as below screenshot shown? This article will talk about some useful formulas for dealing with it.
- Count Number Of Cells Contain Numeric Or Non-Numeric Values
- If you have a range of data which contains both numeric and non- numeric values, and now, you may want to count the number of numeric or non-numeric cells as below screenshot shown. This article, I will talk about some formulas for solving this task in Excel.