Remove text based on variable position in Excel
This tutorial explains how to remove text or characters from a cell when it locates in variable position.
How to remove text from a cell based on variable position?
Od_text: The text in which you want to remove some characters. It can be:
- 1. The text enclosed in quotation marks;
- 2. Or a reference to a cell containing the text.
Start_num: Specify the position to start the removal in the old_text.
Find_text: The text (characters) you want to find and remove from the old_text.
How to use this formula?
As the below screenshot shown, how to keep only the texts right after the colon and remove the other unneeded characters?
1. Select a blank cell to output only the texts right after the colon.
2. Enter the below formula into it and press the Enter key.
3. Select the result cell and drag the Fill Handle to apply the formula to other cells. See screenshot:
Tips: If there is a space after the colon, to remove it as well, please apply the below formula.
How this formula works?
- 1. FIND(":",B3): The FIND function finds the position of colon in B3. Here it returns 8 because “:” is the eighth character in the text string “Product: KTE”.
- 2. REPLACE(B3,1,8,""): And then the REPLACE function will replace 8 characters which start with the first character of the text string in B3 with an empty string. Finally it returns “ KTE”.
Excel REPLACE function
The REPLACE function in Excel can help you to find and replace characters based on given location from text string with a new text.
Excel FIND function
The FIND function is used to find a string within another string, and returns the starting position of the string inside another one.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools for Excel brings 300 powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) and save 80% time for you.
- Designed for 1500 work scenarios, helps you solve 80% Excel problems.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes. No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes.
- 30-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years.
- One second to switch between dozens of open documents!
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Increases your productivity by 50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Brings Efficient Tabs to Office (include Excel), Just Like Chrome, Firefox, And New Internet Explorer.