Excel BINOM.DIST function
The BINOM.DIST function returns the individual term binominal distribution probability, which can be used to calculate the probability of a specified number of successes out of a given number of trials.
BINOM.DIST(number_s, trials, probability_s, cumulative)
- Number_s (required): The number of successes in trials;
- Trials (required): The number of independent trials;
- Probability_s (required): The probability of success per trial;
- Cumulative (required): A logical value used to determine the form of the function. It can be:
-- TRUE: use the cumulative distribution function;
-- FLASE: use the probability mass function.
1. If the arguments “number_s” and “trials” are not integers, they will be truncated;
2. The #NUM! error value occurs when any of the following conditions is met:
-- “Number_s” < 0;
-- “Number_s” > “trials”;
-- “Probability_s” < 0, or “Probability_s” > 1;
3. The #VALUE! error value occurs if any of the supplied “number_s”, “trials” or “probability_s” are non-numeric;
4. Supposing x = number_s, n = trials, and p = probability_s, the equations for the cumulative distribution function and the probability mass function are as follows:
-- The equation for the cumulative distribution function:
-- The equation for the probability mass function:
It returns a numeric value.
As shown in the table below, there are 6 successes in 14 trials, and the probability of success in each trial is 0.5. To calculate the probability of at most 6 successes out of 14 trials and the probability of 6 successes out of 14 trials separately, you can apply the BINOM.DIST function as follows.
1. Calculate the probability of exactly 6 successes out of 14 trials.
Select a cell (E6 in this case), copy or enter the formula below and press Enter to get the result.
2. Calculate the probability of at most 6 successes out of 14 trials.
Select a cell (E7 in this case), copy or enter the formula below and press Enter to get the result.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools for Excel brings
300 powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) and save
80% time for you.
- Designed for
1500 work scenarios, helps you solve
80% Excel problems.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes. No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes.
30-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years.
- One second to switch between dozens of open documents!
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Increases your productivity by
50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Brings Efficient Tabs to Office (include Excel), Just Like Chrome, Firefox, And New Internet Explorer.