Excel DAVERAGE Function
The Excel DAEVARAGE function returns the average of values in a field of records in a list or database that match the specific criteria.
=DAVERAGE (database, field, criteria)
Database: The range of cells that makes up the database. The first row of the database should be the column headers.
Field: The column you will calculate the average from. It can be set to column label or index number as below:
- Column label: The column label (column header) needs to be entered between double quotation marks, such as “quantity”.
- Index number: The number that represents the position of the column in the database, which you will return the average from. The first column number is 1.
Criteria: The range of cells that contains the criteria. The first row of the criteria range should be the column headers.
- You can use any range for the criteria argument, but it is not recommended to place the criteria range below the list in case you need to add new information to the database in the future. The criteria range must include at least one column header and at least one cell value below the column header for specifying the condition.
The DAVERAGE function will return the average value in a given field based on some specific criteria.
As the below screenshot shown, how to average the quantity of TV only in store C? Here I will show you how to achieve it with DAVERAGE function in Excel.
1. Select a blank cell to output the result, copy and paste the below formula into it and press the Enter key to return the average.
1) In the formula, B2:F13 is the database you will operate; “quantity” means that you will calculate the average from this quantity column; and H3:I4 is the conditions range including headers.
2) You can replace “quantity” with certain index number (here use number 4 to represent the fourth column in the database): =DAVERAGE(B2:F13,4,H3:I4).
3) For averaging the quantity of TV in all stores, please apply the below formula.
How to average a range of data ignoring zero in Excel?
How to calculate average in a column based on criteria in another column in Excel?