Excel NORMDIST Function
The NORMDIST calculates and returns the standard normal cumulative distribution function or probability density function of a value for the given arithmetic mean and standard deviation.
Note: NORMDIST has been replaced with NORM.DIST. Although NORMDIST is still available in current versions of Excel, you should consider using the new function from now on, because NORMDIST may not be available in Excel’s future versions.
=NORMDIST(x, mean, standard_dev, cumulative)
- x (required): The value for which to calculate the distribution.
- mean (required): The arithmetic mean of the distribution.
- standard_dev (required): The standard deviation of the distribution.
- cumulative (required): A logical value that specifies the type of distribution to be used:
- TRUE: Returns the cumulative distribution function (CDF);
- FALSE: Returns the probability density function (PDF).
The NORMDIST function returns a numeric value.
- The #VALUE! error occurs if x, mean or standard_dev is nonnumeric.
- The #NUM! error occurs if standard_dev ≤ 0.
Supposing you have a list of values (x) as shown above, their mean and standard deviation are calculated and returned at the right side of the table. To get the cumulative distribution function of the same set of values based on the mean and standard deviation, please copy or enter the formula below in cell C4, and press Enter to get the result:
√ Note: The dollar signs ($) above indicate absolute references, which means the array argument in the formula won't change when you move or copy the formula to other cells. However, there are no dollar signs added to x since you want it to be dynamic. After entering the formula, drag the fill handle down to apply the formula to the below cells.
To get the probability density function, please copy or enter the formula below in cell C16, press Enter to get the result, and then drag the fill handle down to apply the formula to the below cells:
Excel NORM.DIST Function
The NORM.DIST calculates and returns the cumulative distribution function or probability density function of a value for the given arithmetic mean and standard deviation.
Excel NORM.INV Function
The NORM.INV calculates and returns the inverse of the normal cumulative distribution for the given arithmetic mean and standard deviation.
Excel NORM.S.DIST Function
The NORM.S.DIST calculates and returns the standard normal cumulative distribution function or probability density function of a value for an arithmetic mean of 0 and standard deviation of 1.
Excel NORM.S.INV Function
The NORM.S.INV calculates and returns the inverse of the standard normal cumulative distribution that has an arithmetic mean of 0 and standard deviation of 1 with a given probability.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools for Excel brings 300 powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) and save 80% time for you.
- Designed for 1500 work scenarios, helps you solve 80% Excel problems.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes. No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes.
- 30-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years.
- One second to switch between dozens of open documents!
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Increases your productivity by 50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Brings Efficient Tabs to Office (include Excel), Just Like Chrome, Firefox, And New Internet Explorer.