Excel STDEV.S Function
If you want to follow along with this tutorial, please download the example spreadsheet.
The Excel STDEV.S function returns standard deviation based on a given sample of data. It can be used to measure how widely values are dispersed from the mean value. STDEV.S function replaces the STDEV function, with the same behavior.
Syntax and arguments
The STDEV.S function returns a numeric value.
1. STDEV.S function’s arguments are a sample of the population, if the data represents the entire population, STDEV.P function may be rather appropriate.
2. STDEV function using “n – 1” method to calculate.
3. Arguments can either be numbers or names, arrays or references that contains numbers.
4. Logical values and text representations of numbers that directly are typed into the list of arguments are counted.
5. If arguments are arrays or references, only numeric values are counted in the function, while empty cells and texts of error values are ignored.
6. STDEV.S function uses the equation as below:
X is the sample mean, n is the sample size.
Excel 2010 and later
Usage and Examples
Example: Basic Usage
There is a table containing a sample data list in two columns B4:C8. To get the standard deviation of the sample, please use formula as below:
Or you can directly type the data as an array in the formula
Press Enter key to get the standard deviation.
Standard Deviation Functions in Excel
|Function||Data Set||Text annd Logicals|
Excel STDEV Function
The Excel STDEV function returns standard deviation based on a given sample of data.
Excel STDEV.P Function
The Excel STDEV.P function returns standard deviation based on the entire population. It can be used to measure how widely values are dispersed from the mean value.
Excel PERCENTRANK.INC Function
The Excel PERCENTRANK.INC function returns the rank of a value in a data set as a percentage (includes 0 and 1) of the data set.
Excel PERMUT Function
The Excel PERMUT function returns the number of permutations of a given number of objects from a set of objects.