Excel STDEVPA Function
If you want to follow along with this tutorial, please download the example spreadsheet.
The Excel STDEVPA function calculates standard deviation based on the given entire population. It can be used to measure how widely values are dispersed from the mean value. Differ from STDEV.P function, STDEVPA function evaluates logical values and text that appear in reference.
Syntax and arguments
The STDEVPA function returns a numeric value.
1. STDEVPA function’s arguments are entire population, if the data represents a sample of a population, STDEVA function may be rather appropriate.
2. STDEVPA function using the “n” method to calculate.
3. Arguments can either be numbers or names, arrays or references that contain numbers, texts representations of numbers, or logical values (TRUE and FALSE) in reference.
4. STDEVPA function assumes logical value TURE as 1, FALSE as zero.
5. Empty cells and text values are ignored, if TRUE and FALSE are directly typed into an array, they are ignored by STDEVPA function.
6. Arguments that are error values or texts cannot be translated into numbers will cause errors.
7. STDEVPA function uses the equation as below:
X is the sample mean, n is the sample size.
Excel 2003 and later
Usage and Examples
Example: Basic Usage
There is a column B4:B8 containing a population of data. To get the standard deviation, please use formula as below:
Press Enter key to get the standard deviation.
Standard Deviation Functions in Excel
|Function||Data Set||Text annd Logicals|
Excel STDEV Function
The Excel STDEV function returns standard deviation based on a given sample of data.
Excel STDEV.S Function
The Excel STDEV.S function returns standard deviation based on a given sample of data.
Excel STDEV.P Function
The Excel STDEV.P function returns standard deviation based on the entire population.
Excel STDEVP Function
The Excel STDEVP function returns standard deviation based on the entire population.