Excel TRIMMEAN function
The TRIMMEAN function returns the mean of the interior of a data set, which excludes a certain number of highest and lowest values.
TRIMMEAN(array, percent )
- Array (required): The array or cell range of values for which you want to trim and average.
- Percent (required): The number of data points to exclude from the array.
For example, there is an array of 12 cell values, and you want to exclude the highest value and the lowest value from array before calculating the average. Here the percent can be entered as 20%, 0.2, or 2/number of cells in array (such as 2/12, where 12 is the total number of values in the array).
1.The #NUM! error occurs when either of the following conditions is met:
-- “percent” < 0 or “percent” > 1.
-- “array” is empty.
2. The #VALUE! error occurs if “percent” is non-numeric.
3.“percent” will be rounded down to the nearest multiple of 2.
-- For example, there are 30 data points, and the “percent” = 10%, so the number of data points to be excluded equals to 30*10%=3. Here the number 3 will be rounded down to 2, which means that the highest value and the lowest value will be excluded from array when calculating the average.
It returns a numeric value.
As shown in the screenshot below, there is a list of scores from different judges, to get the final score of each anticipant, excluding the highest and the lowest scores, you can apply the TRIMMEAN function as follows to get it done.
Select a cell such as C18 to place the final score of the first anticipant, copy or enter the formula below and press Enter. Select this result cell and drag its AutoFill Handle right to get the final scores of other anticipants.
Note: For a long array, it is not easy to count the total number of cells, you can change the formula to:
The Best Office Productivity Tools
- One second to switch between dozens of open documents!
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Increases your productivity by 50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Brings Efficient Tabs to Office (include Excel), Just Like Chrome, Edge and Firefox.
Please leave your comments in English