Excel TYPE Function
The TYPE function returns the type of the given value.
The TYPE function returns a numeric value.
- The TYPE function returns a numeric code representing the value type in 5 categories:
- number = 1
- text = 2
- logical value= 4
- error value = 16
- array = 64
- When the cell reference as the argument is blank, the TYPE function returns 1 as the result.
- You can't use TYPE to determine whether a cell contains a formula, because TYPE only evaluates the result.
- The TYPE function is useful when we want to find out what type of data is returned by another function or formula, which can return different types of values.
To know the value types of the data provided in the table below, please do as follows.
1. Please copy the formula below into cell D4, then press the Enter key to get the result.
2.Select this result cell and drag its autofill handle down to get the rest of the results.
3.To get the value type of cell B8, please copy the formula below into cell D8, then press the Enter key to get the result.
- We can also directly input a value in the formula. For example, the formula in cell D4 can be changed to:
- When the value is an array, if you input the cell reference to this array value in the formula, the TYPE function will treat it as text and return the result as 2. You need to type the array as argument directly in the formula to get the correct result 64.
Excel EVEN Function
The EVEN function rounds numbers away from zero to the nearest even integer.
Excel EXP Function
The EXP function returns the result of the constant e raised to the nth power.