Excel VALUETOTEXT function
The VALUETOTEXT function converts any specified value to text.
Note: This function is only available in Excel for Microsoft 365.
Value (required): The value you will convert to text;
Format (optional): The format of the output text.
-- 0 or omitted (default): Returns the concise format that is easy to read.
-- 1: Returns the strict format that includes escape characters and row delimiters.
1) By default, the text value pass through unaffected. But in strict mode (format is set to 1), text values will be enclosed in double quotes;
2) The #VALUE! error occurs if format is set to a number other than 0 and 1;
It returns a text value.
To convert the list of values in the table below to text, you can apply the VALUETOTEXT function as follows to get it done.
Select a blank cell (such as D6 in this case) in the same row as the first value you want to convert to text, enter the following formula and press the Enter key. Select this result cell and drag its AutoFill Handle down to get the rest of the results.
1) VALUETOTEXT returns concise format data because the format argument is omitted in the formula.
2) To output strict format data, you need to specify the format argument as 1. See screenshot:
Excel TEXTAFTER function
The TEXTAFTER function extracts and returns the text that occurs after a given substring or delimiter.
Excel TEXTBEFORE function
The TEXTBEFORE function returns the text that occurs before a given substring or delimiter.
Excel TEXTSPLIT Function
The TEXTSPLIT function splits text strings by a given delimiter to an array across columns and rows.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools for Excel brings 300 powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) and save 80% time for you.
- Designed for 1500 work scenarios, helps you solve 80% Excel problems.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes. No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes.
- 30-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years.
- One second to switch between dozens of open documents!
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Increases your productivity by 50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Brings Efficient Tabs to Office (include Excel), Just Like Chrome, Firefox, And New Internet Explorer.