How to hide duplicate records in columns in Excel?
Sometimes you may need to hide all duplicates and keep the unique values for columns in Excel. In this article, we will show you methods of hiding all duplicates including/excluding the first one in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Supposing you have a range of values as below screenshot shown. For hiding all duplicates including the first one in Excel, please do as follows.
1. Select the range you want to hide duplicates. Here I select range A1:F11.
2. Then click Conditional Formatting > Highlight Cells Rules > Duplicate Values under Home tab. See screenshot:
3. In the Duplicate Values dialog box, select Custom Format in the values with drop-down list, and then click the OK button.
4. In the Format Cells dialog box, go to the Font tab, and in the Color drop-down list, choose a font color which matches the background color of your selected range cell. And finally click the OK button. See screenshot:
5. When it returns to the Duplicate Values dialog box, click the OK button.
Now all duplicate records in selected columns are hidden immediately.
The above method will hide all duplicates including the first one in selected columns. Here I will introduce a handy utility of Kutools for Excel, with this Select Duplicate & Unique Cells utility, you can quickly select not only all duplicates including the first one, but also all duplicates except the first one. After selecting the duplicates you want, you can hide them easily. Please do as follows.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Select the column you want to hide duplicates.
2. Click Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells. See screenshot:
3. In the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box, check the Duplicates (Except 1st one) option or the All duplicate (Including 1st one) option as you need, and then click the OK button. Then all duplicates are selected.
4. Right click the selected cells and select Format Cells. In the Format Cells dialog box, click Custom under Number tab, and then type three semicolons ;;; into the Type box, and finally click the OK button.
Now all selected duplicates are hidden immediately.
Note: This Select Duplicate & Unique Cells feature can only applied to one column, if you have multiple column data, please apply this feature one by one.