How to find the second most common/frequent number or text in Excel?
We can apply the MODE function to find out the most frequent number from a range at ease in Excel. However, how about finding out the second most frequent number from a column? And what if finding out the second most common text value from a column? Here we get some workarounds for you:
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
This method will introduce an array formula to find out the second most common or frequent number in Excel. Please do as follows:
Select a blank cell where you will place the searching result, type the formula =MODE(IF(A2:A31<>MODE(A2:A31),A2:A31,"")) into it, and then press the Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys simultaneously. See screenshot:
And then the second most common/frequent number has been found out and returned into the selected cell. See screenshot:
This method will guide you to batch count the occurrences of each item which you will find out the second common or frequent items from by the Advanced Combine Rows utility of Kutools for Excel, and then sort the occurrences to find out the second most common/frequent text value.
1. Select the text/number column where you will find out the second frequent value plus a blank column besides this text column, and click Kutools > Content > Advanced Combine Rows. See screenshot:
Note: For easy understanding, you can give this blank column a header, such as Occurrence or others as you need.
2. In the opening Advanced Combine Rows dialog box, please do as follows:
(1) In the Column section, select the text/number column, and then click the Primary Key.
(2) In the Column section, select the helper column, and then click the Calculate > Count. See above screenshot.
(3) Click the Ok button.
3. Select the helper column with occurrence numbers, and click Data > Sort Largest to Smallest button. See screenshot:
4. In the popping up Sort Warning dialog box, please check the Expand the selection option, and click the Sort button.
And then the second frequent/common text is sorted in the third row. See screenshot:
Actually, Kutools for Excel provides an Advanced Sort utility which can sort all numbers or text values in a column by frequency easily.
1. Select the text column or number column where you will find the second most frequent or common text/number, and click Enterprise > Advanced Sort. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Advanced Sort dialog box, please do as follows:
(1) Select the number column or text column where you will look for the second most common/frequent value from the Column drop down list;
(2) Select the Frequency from the Sort On drop down list;
(3)Select the Z to A from the Order drop down list;
3. Click the OK button. And then you will see the numbers/text values are sorted by frequency in the descending order. You can easily find out the second most common/frequent value from the new sorted list. See above screenshot.