How to move column/row without replacing/overwriting existing data in Excel?
When working in Excel, sometimes you may need to move a column or row to a new location in order to make it easy to read. In this article, we will introduce several methods for you.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
An easy way for you to move column or row without replacing existing data with dragging. Please do as follows.
1. Click on the specified column heading or row number to select the entire column or row you need to move.
2. Move the cursor to the edge of selected column or row until it changes to a 4-sided arrow cursor , press and hold the Shift key then drag the selected column or row to a new location. See screenshot:
Now the selected column or row is moved to a new location as above screenshot shown.
Also, you can move column or row without replacing existing data with cutting and pasting.
1. Select the entire column or row you need to move, right click on it and select Cut in the right-clicking menu.
2. Select and right click a certain column or row which you want to put the cut range before it, then click Insert Cut Cells in the list. See screenshot:
Then the cut column or row is moved to the certain location immediately.
Here i recommend you the Column List utility of Kutools for Excel, with this utility, you can view all columns in the column list pane, and move columns to new column postions by dragging and dropping.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Click Kutools > Navigationto open the Kutools Pane. See screenshot:
2. In the Kutools Pane, click to open the Column list section, then you can see all columns of current worksheet are listed in the pane with the column numbers and headers displaying. Please select a column, then drag and drop it to a new column position in the column list as you need. Then the column will be moved in the worksheet.
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 7 months agodoes not work, it still want's to replace content
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agonot help full, i am so disappointed by the information provided