Sometimes, senders may attach files in their emails. When you receive these emails, you can save the attachments to read them, or preview them in the Reading Pane or message window directly. And this tutorial will show how to read attachments directly, and configure attachments preview settings as well.
- Preview attachments in the Reading Pane or message window
- Read attachments in their default programs
- Turn on or off attachment preview
Note: Methods introduced on this page apply to Microsoft Outlook 2019 desktop program in Windows 10. And the instructions may vary significantly or slightly depending on the version of Microsoft Outlook and the Windows environments.
When reading an email in the Reading Pane or message window, you can click the specified attachment below the subject to preview it directly.
Notes: when previewing an attachment in the Reading Pane or message window, you can click Back to message above the attachments to return to the message content.
Quickly save all attachments from multiple/all emails in Outlook
In general, we can save all attachments from one email by enabling the Attachment Tools tab and applying the Save All feature. If there are multiple emails, we need to repeat this operation again and again. Now, with an amazing third tool - Save All Attachments, you can quickly save all attachments from multiple or all emails by several clicks only!
60-day free trial without limitation!
When reading an email in the Reading Pane or message window, please double click the specified attachment to open it in its default opening program, and then read it in depth.
If you need to prevent the attachment from being previewed in the Reading Pane or message window, you can turn off the attachment preview. In addition, you can also turn off the attachment preview for a certain file type only.
1. Click File > Options.
2. In the Outlook Options dialog, please click Trust Center in the left bar, and then click the Trust Center Settings button.
3. In the Trust Center dialog, you can turn off or on the attachment preview as follows:
(1) You can turn off the attachment preview for all kinds of attachments as follows: (1) click Attachment Handling in the left bar; (2) tick the Turn off Attachment Preview option to turn off the attachment preview.
Tips: Clearing the Turn off Attachment Preview option will turn on the attachment preview.
(2) You can turn off the attachment preview for a certain file type only, says Visio drawings as follows: (1) click Attachment Handling in the left bar; (2) click the Attachment and Document Previewers button; (3) in the File Previewing Options dialog, uncheck the specified file type (Microsoft Visio previewer in my case), and click the OK button.
Tips: Ticking applications in the File Previewing Options dialog will enable previewing these types of attachments.
4. Click the OK buttons successively to save the settings.
More articles ...
- Auto CC/BCC by rules when sending email; Auto Forward Multiple Emails by custom; Auto Reply without exchange server, and more automatic features...
- BCC Warning - show message when you try to reply all if your mail address is in the BCC list; Remind When Missing Attachments, and more remind features...
- Reply (All) With All Attachments in the mail conversation; Reply Many Emails in seconds; Auto Add Greeting when reply; Add Date into subject...
- Attachment Tools: Manage All Attachments in All Mails, Auto Detach, Compress All, Rename All, Save All... Quick Report, Count Selected Mails...
- Powerful Junk Emails by custom; Remove Duplicate Mails and Contacts... Enable you to do smarter, faster and better in Outlook.