Notifications for new message arrival
If you want to be alerted as soon as new emails arrive in Outlook, so that adjust the work priority in time, you can turn on the notifications for new message arrival. And this tutorial will show the detailed steps of enabling new message notification, and turning it off as well.
Note: This tutorial is introduced based on exchange account in Microsoft Outlook 2019 desktop program in Windows 10. And it may vary significantly or slightly depending on the types of email accounts (Exchange, IMAP or POP), the versions of Microsoft Outlook, and Windows environments.
Please follow below steps to turn on or off the notifications for new message arrival in Outlook.
1. Click File > Options.
2. In the Outlook Options dialog, please click Mail in the left bar, and then tick notification options as you need in the Message arrival section.
Play a sound
If you check the Play a sound option, the Windows will play a sound when a new email arrives in the Outlook.
Clearing this option will turn off the alert sound.
Briefly change the mouse pointer
If you check the Briefly change the mouse pointer option, the normal mouse cursor will change to an envelope for a second as a new email arrives in Outlook. And you can clear this option to turn it off.
Show an envelope icon in the taskbar
If you check the Show an envelope icon in the taskbar option, an envelope icon will be added in the taskbar as soon as a new email comes in Outlook.
If you need to prevent from displaying the envelope icon, you can untick the Show an envelope icon in the taskbar to turn it off.
Display a Desktop Alert
If you check this Display a Desktop Alert option, it will pop out an alert at bottom-right corner of the Windows screen when a new email arrives in Outlook.
This alert will display the sender, subject, and a short body preview of the new email.
If you have enabled the Display a Desktop Alert option already, you can check or clear the Enable preview for Rights Protected messages option when you are working with an Exchange account. If you untick this option, the desktop alert won’t display the message previews when new emails are marked as sensitive.
(1) When you manually apply the send/receive commands, the desktop alerts won’t come out.
(2) If you add a new email account, and emails are synchronized initially, the desktop alerts won’t appear.
(3) If Outlook is running rules to move new emails out of the default account’s Inbox, the desktop alerts won’t appear.
More articles ...
- Auto CC/BCC by rules when sending email; Auto Forward Multiple Emails by custom; Auto Reply without exchange server, and more automatic features...
- BCC Warning - show message when you try to reply all if your mail address is in the BCC list; Remind When Missing Attachments, and more remind features...
- Reply (All) With All Attachments in the mail conversation; Reply Many Emails in seconds; Auto Add Greeting when reply; Add Date into subject...
- Attachment Tools: Manage All Attachments in All Mails, Auto Detach, Compress All, Rename All, Save All... Quick Report, Count Selected Mails...
- Powerful Junk Emails by custom; Remove Duplicate Mails and Contacts... Enable you to do smarter, faster and better in Outlook.