Quickly count the times a word appears in a cell or a range
Kutools for Excel
Have you ever suffered from counting the times a specific word appears in a cell or a range of a worksheet? Have you still counted the occurrences of a word one by one? Kutools for Excel’s Count times a word appears formula can help you quickly count the number of occurrences of a word in a single cell or a range of worksheet quickly.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Click Kutools >> Formula Helper >> Count times a word appears. See screenshot:
Supposing you have a cell with a text string, and now you want to count the times of word “you” appears in this cell, just do as below:
1. Type the word you want to count in a cell next to the text string. See screenshot:
2. Select a blank cell which you will put the counting result, and click Kutools > Formula Helper > Count times a word appears.
3. Then in the Formula Helper dialog, select the text string cell into the Text box, and then select the word into Word box. See screenshot:
Tip: You can directly type the specified word with quotes into Word textbox. For example, in our case, please type "you" into the Word textbox.
4. Click Ok. Now the number of times “you” has been counted out.
Note: If you want to count the times a word appears in each cell of a list, you can apply the Count times a word appears in the first cell, and then drag the auto fill handle down to the cells you need. See screenshot:
If you want to count the times a word appears in a range cells, you can do as these:
1. Type the word you want to count in a cell next to the text string, see screenshot:
Tip: This step can be bypassed if you’d like to type the certain word in the following Formula Helper dialog.
2. Select a blank cell and click Kutools > Formula Helper > Count times a word appears.
3. Then in the Formula Helper dialog, select the range you need to Text box, and then select the word you want to count to Word textbox. See screenshot:
Tip: You can directly type the specified word with quotes into Word textbox. For example, in our case, please type "workbook" into the Word textbox.
4.Click Ok. Then you can see the number of times the certain word appears in the range has been counted out.
1. This utility supports case sensitive.
2. This utility supports Undo (Ctrl + Z).
Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days. Download and free trial Now!
The following tools can greatly save your time and money, which one is right for you?
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: More than 300 Advanced Functions for Excel 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365.
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
The functionality described above is just one of 300 powerful functions of Kutools for Excel.
Designed for Excel(Office) 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365. Free download and use for 60 days.