Easily find all combinations that equal a given sum in Excel
Kutools for Excel
Supposing, there is a list of numbers, and you want to find all possible combinations from these numbers that equal a given sum. Normally you can use formulas, Solver Add-in or User-defined function to achieve it, but it is time-consuming and not easy to handle. Here with the useful Make Up a Number utility of Kutools for Excel, finding all combinations that equal a given sum has never been so easy in Excel.
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns and Keeping Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows and Sum/Average... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Favorite and Quickly Insert Formulas, Ranges, Charts and Pictures; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- Kutools works with Office 2007-2019 and 365. It supports all languages, and very easy to install or deploy. Full features 60-day free trial.
Click Kutools > Content > Make Up A Number to enable the utility. See screenshot:
As the below screenshot shown, to find all possible combinations of numbers in range B3:B11 that sum up to 520, you can try with the Make Up a Number utility as follows.
1. Click Kutools > Content > Make Up a Number.
2. In the Make up a number dialog box, please do the below settings.
- In the Data Source box, select the number list to find which numbers add up to 520;
- In the Options section, enter 520 into the Sum textbox;
- Click the OK button. See screenshot:
3. In the next Make up a number dialog box, select a cell to output the combinations and click the OK button. Then a Kutools for Excel dialog pops up to tell you how many combinations will be created, click OK.
You can see all possible combinations of selected numbers that sum up to 520 are listed as follows.
1. It is optional to specify the number of combinations and number of elements in each combination instead of generate all combinations. As the below screenshot shown, you can specify number of combinations as 4, and specify number of elements in each combination from 1 to 4, then, you will get the following result:
2. You can check the Save in a new sheet box to output the combinations to a new sheet.
Find all combinations that equal a given sum
Kutools for Excel includes more than 120 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download the free trial now!
The following tools can greatly save your time and money, which one is right for you?
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: More than 300 Advanced Functions for Excel 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365.
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
The functionality described above is just one of 300 powerful functions of Kutools for Excel.
Designed for Excel(Office) 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365. Free download and use for 60 days.