Easily find position of nth occurrence of a character in text string in Excel
Kutools for Excel
Usually, you can use formula or VBA code to find and return the position of nth occurrence of a certain character in a text string. But actually, you can solve this problem with a handy tool and save more time in your daily work. The Find nth Occurrence of a character utility of Kutools for Excel can help you easily solve this problem without any formulas or complicated VBA code.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words...
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum...
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns...
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Create Mailing List and Send Emails by Cell's Value...
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Click Kutools > Formula Helper > Find nth occurrence of a character. See screenshot:
Supposing you need to find position of the 3rd occurrence of character “n” from the text string in cell A1 as bellow screenshot shown, please do as follows.
1. Please select a blank cell to use the formula, and click Kutools > Formula Helper > Find nth occurrence of a character. See screenshot:
2. In the Formula Helper dialog box, please do as follows:
1). In the String box, specify the cell with text string you want to find the nth character position.
2). Type the character you need to find into the Character box (the typing character should be embraced with quotation marks).
3). Enter the number of nth occurrence of the character into the Nth occurrence box.
4). Click the OK button. See screenshot:
Note: For example, try to identify the location of the character “n” in the third occurrence, please type number 3 into the Nth occurrence box. If you want to locate the fourth occurrence of “n”, please type number 4.
Now the position of the 3rd character “n” is populated in the selected cell. See screenshot:
The following tools can greatly save your time and money, which one is right for you?
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: More than 300 Advanced Functions for Excel 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365.
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
The functionality described above is just one of 300 powerful functions of Kutools for Excel.
Designed for Excel(Office) 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365. Free download and use for 60 days.