Quickly find and break broken links (external references) in Excel
Kutools for Excel
Normally it will contain a lot of external references (also call links) in a large report workbook, because people may often create links to other cells, sheets and workbooks for building a report workbook. Supposing you have a workbook which contains lots of links, there is no way for you to find and locate the cells that contains a link in Excel. But with Kutools for Excel's Find and Break Broken Links utility, you can easily:
- List all links in a list for finding and navigating between cells with links
- List all broken links in a list
- List and filter links based on data source
- Break any links (broken links) you want
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Click Kutools >> Link >> Find and Break Broken Links. See screenshots:
Please take a look at the following screenshot, and you will see in the cells in Column A contain links to other data sources. See screenshot:
If you configure to show formulas in cells instead of their calculated results in Excel Options, the Column A in the above screenshot will become as follows. See screenshot:
For example, the cell A2 links to cell B2 of Weighted Average Sheet in KTE_2013_TESGING_150108.xlsx (='='Z:\KTE\Test workbooks\[KTE_2013_TESTING_150108.xlsx]Weighted Average'!B2).
You can list all such links of the workbook in a list in the Find and Break Broken Links dialog box as follows:
1. Open the workbook you want to have list of links, and then apply the utility (Click Kutools > Link > Find and Break Broken Links). Note: the workbook must contain links. See screenshot:
2. If the View cell option is checked, when you click on the link in the list. It will find and navigate to the specific cell which contains the link in the worksheet. If the link status is Error, it means the link is broken.
If you want to have a list of all broken links of the workbook, please do as follows (change the filter to All broken links). See screenshot:
And you will list out all broken links of the workbook in the Find and Break Broken Links dialog box as:
You can also list all links based on specific data source. Please change the filter to the data source you want to have a list as:
Then you will have a list of cells all links to the specific data source as:
No matter the links status is broken (Error) or not, you can break the links from their data sources. For example, all the links in the following screenshot are checked, if you click Break link button, it will break all links from their data sources and replace the cell contents with the current displayed values. You will see the results as:
It will break the checked links from their data sources, if you click Break link button. So please make sure the links you want to break is checked in the list before clicking Break link button.
This utility supports Undo (CTRL+Z).
Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days. Download and free trial Now!
The following tools can greatly save your time and money, which one is right for you?
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: More than 300 Advanced Functions for Excel 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365.
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
The functionality described above is just one of 300 powerful functions of Kutools for Excel.
Designed for Excel(Office) 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365. Free download and use for 60 days.
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 months agoHello, your tools cannot find any broken links in my Excel workbook though Excel File> Info > Edit Links to Files dialog shows 3 links refering to 2 non existing files and 1 existing...