Easily configure cells to be locked or unlocked when protecting worksheet
Kutools for Excel
In Excel, the worksheet cells are all locked by default, all cells are not editable when protecting worksheet. If you want others to edit some ranges in a protected worksheet, you should better let those ranges to be unlocked. Kutools for Excel’s Worksheet Design includes Selection Lock and Selection Unlock features which can help you easily configure cells to be locked or unlocked when protecting worksheet.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel/Office
Click Kutools Plus >> Worksheet Design, and a new Design tab will display in the ribbon, see screenshots:
To quickly unlock selected cells, please do as follows:
1. Select the cells which you want to unlock, you can hold Ctrl key to select multiple ranges as you need.
2. Then apply Selection Unlock utility by clicking Kutools Plus > Worksheet Design, and a new Design tab will appear in the ribbon, click Selection Unlock option in the Protect group under Design tab, see screenshot:
3. And then a prompt box will pop out, click OK to close this box, and all the selected cells have been unlocked.
4. When you need to protect this worksheet, you can protect it by clicking Protect Sheet under this Design tab, see screenshot:
5. And then enter and confirm the password you need in the popped out dialogs, see screenshot:
6. And after worksheet protecting, you can highlight the unlocked cells to view them quickly and easily, please click Highlight Unlocked option under the Design tab, and the unlocked cells will be highlighted with a color, see screenshot:
If your worksheet has multiple unlocked cells, you can lock them quickly with Selection Lock feature of Kutools for Excel without going to the Format Cells dialog, please do as follows:
1. Select the whole worksheet which you want to lock the unlocked cells.
2. And then apply this utility by clicking Kutools Plus > Worksheet Design, and a new Design tab will appear in the ribbon, click Selection Lock option in the Protect group, see screenshot:
3. And a prompt box will pop out, click OK to close it, and all the unlocked cells have been locked at once.
Tip: If you only want to lock parts of unlocked cells, you can apply Highlight Unlocked feature to highlight all the unlocked cells for view easily, and then select the cells you need to lock, and click Selection Lock to lock the selected cells.
The following tools can greatly save your time and money, which one is right for you?
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: More than 300 Advanced Functions for Excel 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365.
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
The functionality described above is just one of 300 powerful functions of Kutools for Excel.
Designed for Excel(Office) 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365. Free download and use for 60 days.