Quickly only allow specific characters to be entered in a range of cells
Kutools for Excel
In Excel, have you ever tried to prevent any characters but only allow some specific characters to be entered into a range of cells? May be the Data Validation feature with a long formula can help you to solve this job. However, if you have Kutools for Excel, with its Prevent Typing utility, you can only allow some specific characters to be entered in a range of cells easily and quickly without any formula.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words...
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum...
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns...
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Create Mailing List and Send Emails by Cell's Value...
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
To limit other characters but only allow some specific ones to be entered into a worksheet, please do as follows:
1. Select one column or a range of cells where you need to only allow certain characters to be inputted.
2. Then click Kutools > Prevent Typing > Prevent Typing, see screenshot:
3. In the Prevent Typing dialog box, please do the following operations:
(1.) Select Allow to type in theses chars option under the Define restrictions section;
(2.) Then enter the characters which you allow to be inputted in selection only, or you can click button to select the cells which contain the characters you want to only allow to be inputted;
(3.) Check the Case sensitive if you want the entered characters are case sensitive, if not, please uncheck.
4. And then click Ok button, a message box will pop out to remind you the original data validation will be removed after applying this feature, see screenshot:
5. If you want to continue, please click Yes button, another prompt box is popped out to remind you only certain characters are allowed entered in the selection, see screenshot:
6. Now, when you enter the characters beyond your specified in the selection, a warning message will pop out, see screenshot:
The following tools can greatly save your time and money, which one is right for you?
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: More than 300 Advanced Functions for Excel 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365.
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
The functionality described above is just one of 300 powerful functions of Kutools for Excel.
Designed for Excel(Office) 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365. Free download and use for 60 days.