Manage Excel workbook passwords used to open files for combining and conversion
Kutools for Excel
Boosts Excel With 300+
In Excel, if you do not want other users to open your workbooks, you can set a password to prevent others from opening your workbooks. However, it will be quite troublesome to enter passwords time after time when you need to open multiple such password-protected workbooks when using Combine, File Format Converter or other features of Kutools for Excel. Here, Kutools provides a useful auxiliary utility, Password Manager, which supports recording and editing workbook passwords, and helps open those workbooks directly by filling passwords automatically when applying Combine Worksheets or other utilities.
Applying Password Manager by clicking Kutools Plus > Passwords Manage > Password Manager.
1. Click Kutools Plus > Passwords Manage > Password Manager to enable the Password Manager dialog.
2. In the opening Password Manager dialog box, please configure as follows:
- In the Label box, type in descriptions to remark the password, which helps easily manage it in the future;
- In the Password box, enter the password (you can click the eye button to display the password you typed);
- It is optional to enable one or both of the Workbook Name and the Workbook Path boxes:
Workbook Name: By adding a workbook name with file extension, the saved password will populate into the Password box automatically when open any workbook with the same name and extension.
Workbook Path: By adding the workbook path at the same time, the saved password will only populate when open any workbook with the same name and extension in the specified path.
- Click OK. See screenshot:
When open a workbook with password changed but the original password is still saved in the Password Manager, a Kutools for Excel dialog box will pop up to ask whether you want to update the original password saved in the Password Manager. Click Yes to update it or No to ignore it.
After clicking the Yes button, a Kutools for Excel – Add or Kutools for Excel – Edit dialog box pops up, and you can see the encrypted workbook information is filled in the corresponding boxes, click OK to save the information.
8. As you can see on the ribbon, by default, the Automatically Fill Password and Remind Password Changing option are enabled, and the Fill Password And Open File option is disabled. You can turn off or on these options directly on the ribbon without get into the Password Manager dialog.
9. When entering a wrong password to open an encrypted workbook, a Kutools for Excel dialog box will pop up as the below screenshot shown.
When applying the Combine utility of Kutools for Excel to merge the password protected workbooks, if you have added the passwords into the Password Manager firstly, the protected workbooks will be merged successfully. Or you can click Password button in the Combine Worksheets dialog to add passwords directly.
The following tools can greatly save your time and money, which one is right for you?
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: More than 300 Advanced Functions for Excel 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365.
The functionality described above is just one of 300 powerful functions of Kutools for Excel.
Designed for Excel(Office) 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365. Free download and use for 30 days.