Quickly sum cell values with text and numbers within one cell
Kutools for Excel
Supposing, you may have a list of values which contain both numerical and text values in a single cell, and now, you want to sum all the numbers with the same text to get the total value as below screenshot shown. Normally, you can’t sum the values in the list with text string directly in Excel, here, I will introduce a useful tool – Kutools for Excel’s Sum based on the same text, with this feature, you can get the total value based on the same text quickly and easily.
To sum the cells containing text and numbers based on the same text, please do with the following steps:
1. Click to select a cell where you want to output the result, see screenshot:
Tips: To prevent circular references, please don’t insert this formula into the first row of the worksheet.
2. And then click Kutools > Formula Helper > Formula Helper, see screenshot:
3. In the Formulas Helper dialog box, please do the following operations:
- Select Statistical from the Formula Type drop down list;
- In the Choose a formula list box, click to select Sum based on the same text option;
- Then, in the Arguments input section, select the range of cells containing the text and numbers that you want to sum in the Range textbox, and then, select the text cell you want to sum values based on in the Text textbox.
Tips: In the Text textbox, you should change the default absolute cell reference to relative cell reference for dragging the formula correctly.
4. And then, click Ok button, the first result will be calculated as below screenshot shown:
5. Then, select the first formula cell, and drag the fill handle down to the cells for applying this formula, and you will get all results of the same text as you need. See screenshot:
Note: This formula is case sensitive.
The following tools can greatly save your time and money, which one is right for you?
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: More than 300 Advanced Functions for Excel 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365.
The functionality described above is just one of 300 powerful functions of Kutools for Excel.
Designed for Excel(Office) 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365. Free download and use for 60 days.