Easily detach attachments from emails in outlook
Kutools for Outlook
Attachments are one of the most important part of our incoming emails, but they are always taken up a lot of space which makes your Outlook more and more huge. In this case, you need to remove the attachments from the e-mails and save them in a specific folder on disk. Generally in Outlook, you are tired of saving the attachments from each email message one by one. Here, I can introduce you an easy and handy tool-Kutools for Outlook, with its Detach All feature, you can quickly save the attachments from multiple selected emails to a specific folder, at the meanwhile, it converts the attachments to URL links, and this will decreases storage space in your Outlook.
Office Tab: Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, IE 8/9/10.
Classic Menu: Bring Old Menus and Toolbars Back to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
To detach the attachments from multiple email messages, please do as follows:
1. Select the messages in the mail listing that you want to detach the attachments, press Ctrl key to select multiple messages.
2. Then apply this Detach All feature by clicking Kutools > Detach All, see screenshot:
3. And a Please select a folder prompt box will appear, and then click the browser button, a Browse For Folder dialog box will pop out, in this dialog, please select a directory where you want to save the attachments to, see screenshots:
4. After specifying the save folder, click OK button to go back to the Please select a folder dialog, then you can check Create subfolders in the following style option and select one style you need from the drop-down list. See screenshot:
5. click Ok, a dialog pops out to remind you really want to detach all attachments, click Yes to continue operation, and another dialog pops out to remind you how many attachments have been done.
6. click OK to finish the job, then the attachments have been detached from the selected emails, and be saved to the specific folder leaving the URL links as following screenshot:
1. You can uncheck Show this dialog box each time option in the Please select a folder dialog, then the attachments will be detached in the defualt folder and derectly jump to step 5 while clicking Detach All.
2. If you want to change the save folder of the attachments, please click Kutools > Options to go to the Attachment Options dialog box, under the Detach&Save tab, click button to choose a new directory that you desired Detach section, see screenshots:
3. Your saved attachments folders are named with the relative email subjects, if there are no subject of your message, the folder will be named with the ID of the email.
4. You can specify how to handle the duplicate attachments by checking a needed option in the Duplicate Attachments section under the Detach & Save tab. See screenshot:
To detach the attachments automatically when the message arriving, the Kutools for Outlook also may do you a favor. You can go to the Attachment Options to configure for automatically detach attachments when a message arriving as follows:
1. Please click Kutools > Options to go to the Attachment Options dialog box, in the Attachment Options dialog:
(1. ) Click Detach tab;
(2. ) Check Auto detach all receiving attachments option under the Detach section;
(3. ) And then click button to choose a specific folder to save the incoming attachments.
Tip: If you check To handle attachments from the plain text message under General tab, the messages which are formatted with plain text also are detached from the emails, and the messages will be converted to HTML format.
2. And then click OK to save these settings, and from now on, when you receiving new message with attachments, the attachments will be removed from the message and maintain the URL hyperlinks to link to those attachments. You can find the attachments are saved to a folder that you have specified.
Both above methods will replace attachments with hyperlinks. However, these hyperlinks will be identified as harmful and blocked if you have enabled the Automatic Download Warning in Outlook. You can disable it as follows: (1) click File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings to open the Trust Center, (2) enable the Automatic Download tab in the left bar, (3) uncheck the Warn me before downloading content when editing, forwarding, or replying to email option, and (4) save the changes.
Kutools for Outlook
More than 100 Advanced Functions for Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 and 365