How to average only positive or negative numbers in Excel?
May be, sometimes, you need to calculate the average of only positive or negative numbers from a range which contains both positive and negative values in your worksheet, the normal AVERAGE function will not solve this task. This tutorial will show you how to average only positive or negative numbers in Excel.
Change Sige of Vlaues (quickly change negative to positive values, or vice versa...)
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
To average only the positive numbers in a range, you can use the following Array formula, please do as this:
1. Enter this formula: =AVERAGE(IF(A1:D10>0,A1:D10,"")) into a blank cell, see screenshot:
2. Then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together, and you will get the result as following screenshot shown:
1. In the above formula, A1:D10 is the data range that you want to calculate the average.
2. To get the result of only the negative numbers, please apply this formula: =AVERAGE(IF(A1:D10<0,A1:D10,"")), and remember to press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys.
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, with its Select Specific Cells feature, you can select the positive or negative numbers first, and then view the result of the calculation from the status bar.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the data range that you want to use.
2. Click Kutools > Select Tools > Select Specific Cells, see screenshot:
3. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, check Cell option under Selection type, to select all the positive numbers by selecting Greater than, and to select the negative numbers, please choose Less than from the Specific type drop down list, and enter the criteria into the text box, here enter 0 into the box. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK to close this dialog, and all of your desired numbers have been selected, and you can go to the status bar to view the calculation results:
|The result of only the positive numbers||The result of only the negative numbers|