Can you public the file with the macro working please, for
"Show comments when cell is selected with VBA code"
Kutools for Excel is a powerful add-in that frees you from performing time-consuming operations in Excel, such as combine sheets quickly, merge cells without losing data, paste to only visible cells, count cells by color and so on. 300+ powerful features / functions for Excel 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 or Office 365!
It enables tabbed browsing, editing, and managing of Microsoft Office applications. You can open multiple documents / files in a single tabbed window, such as using the browser IE 8/9/10, Firefox, and Google Chrome. It's compatible with Office 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003 or Office 365. Demo
Kutools for Outlook is a powerful add-in that frees you from time-consuming operations which majority of Outlook users has to perform daily! It can save your time from using Microsoft Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010 or Office 365!
Kutools for Word is a powerful add-in that frees you from time-consuming operations which majority of Word users have to perform daily! It can save your time from using Microsoft Word / Office 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003 or Office 365!
Restores the old look and menus of Office 2003 to Microsoft Office 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 or Office 365. Don’t lose time in finding commands on the new Ribbon. Easy to deploy to all computers in enterprises and organizations.
When we insert some comments in a workbook, we can hover the mouse over the cell which contains the comment to make the comment pop up. But if you select the cell using the arrow keys, the comment won't display. Here, I will show you how to display comment when cell is selected in Excel.
Excel provides an alternative to cell comments. The Excel’s Data Validation feature can help us to display a pop-up message when a cell is selected. Using this method, we needn’t to insert the comment by the normal way. We can insert the comment through the Input Message option of Data Validation feature.
1. Click a cell where you want to insert the comment.
2. Go to click Data > Data Validation > Data Validation, see screenshot:
3. In the Data Validation dialog box, go to the Input Message tab, and check Show input message when cell is selected option, then you can enter the title and message as your need. See screenshot:
4. After inputting the message that you need, click OK to close this dialog. And now when you select the cell, the message will be popped up just look like a comment.
If there are multiple comments in your worksheet already, to retype them one by one with the above method will be time consuming, so, I can introduce a VBA code to help you show the comment when cell is selected.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Then choose your used worksheet from the left Project Explorer, double click it to open the Module, and then copy and paste following VBA code into the blank Module:
VBA code: Show comments when cell is selected
Private FRg As Range Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) 'Update 20140909 On Error Resume Next If (FRg Is Nothing) = False Then FRg.Comment.Visible = False End If Target.Comment.Visible = True Set FRg = Target End Sub
3. Save and close the code, and return to the worksheet, now, when you select a cell with comment by pressing arrow key, the comment will be shown as follows: