How to repeat number sequence in Excel?
Have you ever tried to fill down a column with a repeating sequence of numbers in Excel? For example, I want to fill the column with 1, 2 , 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4. Are there any quick method to solve this problem in Excel?
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
To repeat the number sequence, the following simple formula may help you.
1. Enter number 1 into a cell where you want to put the repeated sequence numbers, I will enter it in cell A1.
2. Follow the cell, then type this formula =MOD(A1,4)+1 into cell A2, see screenshot:
3. Then drag the fill handle over to the cells that you want to contain this formula, and you will get the repeated sequence numbers, see screenshot:
1. In the above formula, A1 is the cell your first number stayed in, and the number 4, indicates the repeated sequence number. If you need the sequence repeated as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, you just need to change the 4 to 5.
2. And this formula is just applied to the simple number sequence, if you want to repeat the text string sequence, such as A1001, A1002, A1003, this formula will not work.
3. Your sequence number must be start from number 1, if not, the formula result may be wrong.
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHow do I return "1" for x rows, then "2" for x rows, then "3" for x rows, etc.....