How to add best fit line/curve and formula in Excel?
For example, you have been researching in the relationship between product units and total cost, and after many experiments you get some data. Therefore, the problem at present is to get the best fit curve for the data, and figure out its equation. Actually, we can add the best fit line/curve and formula in Excel easily.
- Add best fit line/curve and formula in Excel 2013 or later versions
- Add best fit line/curve and formula in Excel 2007 and 2010
- Add best fit line/curve and formula for multiple sets of data
Supposing you have recorded the experiments data as left screenshot shown, and to add best fit line or curve and figure out its equation (formula) for a series of experiment data in Excel 2013, you can do as follows:
1. Select the experiment data in Excel. In our case, please select the Range A1:B19, and click the Insert Scatter (X, Y) or Bubble Chart > Scatter on the Insert tab. See screen shot:
2. Select the scatter chart, and then click the Add Chart Element > Trendline > More Trendline Options on the Design tab.
3. In the opening Format Trendline pane, check the Polynomial option, and adjust the order number in the Trendline Options section, and then check the Display Equation on Chart option. See below screen shot:
Then you will get the best fit line or curve as well as its equation in the scatter chart as above screen shot shown.
There are a few differences to add best fit line or curve and equation between Excel 2007/2010 and 2013.
1. Select the original experiment data in Excel, and then click the Scatter > Scatter on the Insert tab.
2. Select the new added scatter chart, and then click the Trendline > More Trendline Options on the Layout tab. See above screen shot:
3. In the coming Format Trendline dialog box, check the Polynomial option, specify an order number based on your experiment data, and check the Display Equation on chart option. See screenshot:
4. Click the Close button to close this dialog box.
In most cases, you may get multiple sets of experiment data. You can show these sets of data in a scatter chart simultaneously, and then use an amazing chart tool – Add Trend Lines to Multiple Series provided by Kutools for Excel – to add the best fit line/curve and formula in Excel.
1. Select the sets of experiment data, and click Insert > Scatter > Scatter to create a scatter chart.
2. Now the scatter chart is created. Keep the scatter chart, and click Kutools > Charts > Chart Tools > Add Trend Lines to Multiple Series. See screenshot:
Now the trendline is added to the scatter chart. If the trendline does not match with the scatter plots, you can go ahead to adjust the trendline.
3. In the scatter chart, double click the trendline to enable the Format Trendline pane.
4. In the Format Trendline pane, tick the trendline types one by one to check which kind of trendlines is the best fit. In my case, the Polynomial trendline fits best. And tick the Display Equation on chart as well.
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 8 months agoI know my graph is inversely proportional but I need exact numbers. How do I do that?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoFor one material I want to draw a line from starting date which can run few days and will repeat for full month. is it possible in excel to do the same without manual intervention ?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoHi Sujal,
Why not create a table to list your data in Excel, and then create a line chart (Insert > Insert Line Chart > Line) based on the table?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoIs it possible to increase the equation's coefficients' number of decimals shown on the graph by the "Display Equation" option?
Is it also possible to export the values of those coefficients to selected cells in the spreadsheet?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agotell me how to fit a curve where multiple series of data is there ???
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoits me bibek form darjeeling i will do work on graph but i do not know how do best fit curve ling in excel graph ... plz can be explain....
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoThanks helped me in curve fitting and in extending a line from points
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoThanks, This information helped alot.