How to undo all changes to get back the original data in Excel?
After modifying a worksheet, you may want to undo all changes to recover the original data of your worksheet. For Excel, it has the undo function to undo changes. But for undoing all changes you have done to the worksheet, it takes time to click the Undo button again and again. Actually, there are methods for you do quickly get back the original data after modifying the worksheet. Please browse this article for more details.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
The original method for undoing changes in Excel is to use the Undo function. Please do as follows.
1. After modifying current worksheet, click the Undo button in the Quick Access Toolbar to undo the changes you have made to the worksheet.
1. To undo all changes together at once, please click the button besides the undo button to list all changes you made to the worksheet, move the cursor to the last changed one to select all changes in the list, and then click it to remove all changes at once.
2. If the other worksheets in current workbook was modified, changes of these worksheets are listed in the Undo list as well. So, to undo all changes in a specified worksheet with this method becomes complex.
Another method for quickly getting back the original data after modifying worksheet is to back up this sheet before modifying. With the following VBA code, you can easily back up the worksheet.
1. Stay in the worksheet and keep the original data you want to back up, then press Alt + F11 to open the Microsoft Visual Basic Application window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic Application window, click Insert > Module, and then copy and paste the below VBA code into the Module window.
VBA code: Back up worksheet
Sub CreateBackup() Dim xWs As Worksheet Dim xBackupWs As Worksheet Dim xName As String Set xWs = Application.ActiveSheet xName = xWs.Name xWs.Copy After:=Sheets(Application.Worksheets.Count) Set xBackupWs = Application.ActiveSheet xBackupWs.Name = "backup" xWs.Activate End Sub
3. Press the F5 key to run the code, then a worksheet named backup is created with exactly the same content with the specified worksheet.
Do you want to restore to the original data with just one click? With the Snap utility of Kutools for Excel, you can take a snapshot of current worksheet before modifying, and then get back the original data with one click.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Before modifying the worksheet, Click Kutools > Snap > Track Snap. See screenshot:
2. In the Track Snap dialog box, click the OK button.
When you need to get back the original data of the worksheet, just click the snapshot you took to restore it.
1. The Snap utility will get back all original data through the whole workbook.
2. Your created snapshots will be removed when launch the Excel next time.
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 14 days agoI done some changes in Excel and saved it and closed the file but I want old data I want to undo all changes what should I do it's very necessary to me to get the ol data plz suggest me
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoSince when can I undo changes in Excel after hitting Save button?
As my memory serves, since recently it is possible to undo changes even after hitting Save, which is a concern as this was my way of releasing cache memory while working on large files. Also, I risk adding attachments that do not show the latest work available.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHow do I undo changes in Excel after hitting save button
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoI found out by, by mistake, hitting the undo button in Excel 2010. After pressing save then hitting undo it would still restore previous version. In my case, not convenient as it meant no cache was released and I can't be fully certain that on close, I save all intended modifications to the file.