How to count occurrences of specific character in a cell in Excel?
Sometimes, you may need to count how many times a specific character appearing in a cell. As below screenshot shown, you need to count number of character “o” appearing in cell A1, how to achieve this? In this article, we will show you methods of counting occurrences of specific character in Excel.
Quickly count occurrences of a specific character in a cell:
The Count Character utility of Kutools for Excel helps you quickly count occurrences of a certain character in a cell in Excel. See screenshot:
Count occurrences of specific character in a cell with Formula
In this section, we introduce you a formula to count occurrences of specific character in a cell.
1. Select a blank cell for locating the result.
2. Type formula =LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"o","")) into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key.
1. In the formula, A2 contains the text string which you want to count occurrences of specific character from.
2. “o” is the specific character you are going to count. Please change them as you need.
Then the occurrences of character “o” is counted and listed in selected cell.
Note: This feature is case sensitive.
Count occurrences of specific character in a cell with Kutools for Excel
The above formula may be difficult for you to remember, here we introduce you the COUNTCHAR utility of Kutools for Excel, with this utility, you can easily count how many times a specific character appearing in a cell.
1. Select a blank cell for locating the result, and then click Kutools > Kutools Functions > Statistical & Math > COUNTCHAR. See screenshot:
2. In the Function Arguments dialog box, select the cell which contains the text string for counting the specific character in the Within_text box (here we select cell A2), type the character into the Find_text box (in this case, the character is “o”) that you want to count, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Then you will get the result in selected cell immediately.
Note: This feature is also case sensitive.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!