How to add comma before number in Excel?
Suppose you have a list of text strings, and you want to add comma before first appearing number as below screenshots shown, how can you quickly solve it in Excel? Here I introduce formulas and a handy tool to help you handle with it.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
1. Firstly, you need to identify the location of the number. Select a blank cell next to the list, here is B1, and type this formula =MATCH(1,ISNUMBER(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)+0)+0,0), and type Shift + Ctrl + Enter keys. Then drag the autofill handle down to apply cells with this formula.
2. Go to C1, and type this formula =REPLACE(A1,B1,1,","&MID(A1,B1,1)), and press Enter key, and then drag autofill handle down to apply this formula to cells.
1. In above formulas, A1 is the data cell, and B1 is the first formula cell.
2. You can paste the result as Value in another location.
If you want to add comma before every number of a string, Kutools for Excel’s Add Text utility can do this favor.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the cells of data, and click Kutools > Text > Add Text. See screenshot:
2. Then in the Add Text dialog, type comma , into Textbox, and check Only add to option and select 1st character is number. You can see the result in the preview pane. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok. Now comma has been added before every number. See screenshot:
Add Text (add character/word to a specific location of each cell in a range.)