How to automatically color alternating rows/columns in Excel?
Supposing you have a range of data, now you want to automatically color alternating rows when you add new data at the bottom of the range as below screenshots shown, how can you quickly solve this task? This tutorial can give you some suggestions.
Select Interval Rows & Columns (quickly help you to select every nth row/column in a range.)
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
In Excel, if you want to automatically color alternating rows or columns, you can create a table.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance working efficiency and save working time.|
1. Select the range you want to work at, and click Insert > Table, see screenshot:
2. In the Create Table dialog, check My table has headers (If your range has no headers, uncheck this option), and click OK. See screenshot:
3. Then go to Design tab of the Table Tools, and select the table styles you like. See screenshot:
Now, the table will be automatically colored alternating rows when you add new data.
Tip: If you want to automatically color alternating columns, just need to check Banded Columns in the Table Style Options group under Design tab.
You also can use Conditional Formatting function to auto color every other rows/columns.
| Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time. |
1. Select the data range you want to color the alternating rows, and click Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rule. See screenshot:
2. In the New Formatting Rule dialog, click Use a formula to determine which cells to format, and type this formula =MOD(ROW(),2) into the Format values where this formula is true textbox. See screenshot:
3. Then click Format, and under Fill tab, select a color you need to shade the alternating rows, see screenshot:
4. Click OK > OK. Now you can see the rows will be automatically shaded when you add new data.
(1) If you want to color alternating columns, use this formula =MOD(COLUMN(),2).
(2) The fill color will be added to new rows/columns only if the new added data has the same format as its above data.
If you neither want to change the range to table, nor remember formulas, you can try to use the Alternate Row/Column Shading function of Kutools for Excel, which also can help you quickly automatically color every other rows or columns while adding new data.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the data range you need to color, and click Kutools > Format > Alternate Row/Column Shading. See screenshot:
2. In the popped out dialog, do as below operation:
2) Select one of the shading method: Conditional formatting or Standard formatting (if you have applied conditional formatting in your range, when you want to shade them by every other row/column, please choose Standard formatting option);
3) Select one color you want to shade the range by alternating rows/columns.
4) Type 1 into the Shade every box.
3. Click Ok. And the rows will be auto colored by every other while adding new data.
Auto color alternating column
1. If you want to remove all conditional formatting and background color, select the range and check Remove existing alternated row shading option in Alternate Row/Column Shading dialog.
2. The new adding data must be as the same format with its above data, or the alternate shading cannot be automatically added to new added rows/columns.
You may be interested in these articles:
- How to average values based on cell color in Excel
- How to insert multiple pictures into cell in Excel?
- How to insert live exchange rate in Excel?
- How to quickly convert currency numbers to words in Excel?
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoبا سلام.میخواستم بپرسم ممکنه رنگ یک سطر رو بطور کلی شرطی کنیم ک با وجود یک کلمه تو سر همه یک شکل بشن؟مثلا اگه تو یه سطر کلمه خروج اومد کل سطر قرمز بشن یا اگه ورود اومد همه سبز بشن