How to force user to select data from a list in Excel?
In some cases, you just want the users to enter or select data from a list you specify in the sheet, are there any way to solve this task? In fact, you can create a drop down list by Excel’s Data Validation utility to force users select data from such a list.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
To force users to select data from a list, you can create a list of data you want users to select first, and then apply the Data Validation feature to create a drop down list from the data you have specified.
1. Create a list of data you need in column F.
2. Select a cell or a range you want to force users to select data from a list, and click Data > Data Validation. See screenshot:
3. In the Data Validation dialog, under Settings tab, choose List from Allow drop down list, and select the list you have created in step 1 to the Source textbox. See screenshot:
4. Click OK. Now the users only can select data from the list, if users type other data in the cells, there is a warning dialog popping out.
Select Specific Cells (select cells/row/columns based on one ore two criteria.)