How to format a textbox as currency in Excel?
Normally, there is no built-in function in Excel for you to change the text format in a textbox (ActiveX Control). However, if you need to format numbers you have entered into the textbox to currency for some purpose. How can you do to achieve it? This article will show you a VBA method to solve this problem.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
The below VBA code can help you easily format numbers in the textbox as currency in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Click Developer > Insert > Text Box (ActiveX Control) to insert a textbox into worksheet. See screenshot:
2. Right-click the textbox, then click View Code from the right-clicking menu.
3. In the opening Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, please replace the original code in the Code window with below VBA code.
VBA code: format textbox as currency in Excel
Private Sub TextBox1_Change() TextBox1.Value = Format(TextBox1.Value, "$###,##") End Sub
Note: In the code, TextBox1 is the name of the textbox you will format numbers inside as currency. Please change it to your own.
4. Press the Alt + Q keys simultaneously to close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
5. Turn off the Design Mode.
From now on, when entering a number into the textbox, it will be automatically formatted as currency as below screenshot shown.
- How to auto select text of a textbox when it is selected in Excel?
- How to autocomplete a textbox when typing in Excel?
- How to format a textbox as a percentage in Excel?
- How to concatenate texts of multiple cells into a textbox in Excel?
- How to disable editing in textbox to prevent user inputting in Excel?