How to remove endnotes quickly in Word?
Endnotes are used for citation of sources in printed document. It consists of note reference mark and corresponding note text, just as same as footnotes. Endnotes always locate in the end of document. This tutorial will show you several ways to remove endnotes from a Word document easily.
- Manually remove endnotes one by one
- Remove all endnotes with Find and Replace function
- One click to remove all endnotes with an amazing tool
Recommended Productivity Tools for Word
You can remove endnotes with the note reference mark. By default, endnotes are marked by Roman numerals. You can easily remove such a Roman numeral to remove corresponding endote in Word.
Select the note reference mark of endnote you want to remove, and press Delete button.
Obviously, if there are too many endnotes it would be really cumbersome to delete all manually.
Find and Replace function works well in remove all endnotes from document. It’s more quickly than remove them one by one. To remove all endnotes from document as follows:
1. Click Home > Replace (or press Ctrl + H keys together) to activate the Replace feature;
2. In the Find and Replace dialog, please do as follows:
(1) In the Find what box, please type ^e;
(2) Type nothing in the Replace with box;
(3) Click the Replace All button. See screenshot:
3. In the popping out Microsoft Word dialog, please click the OK button (see below screenshot). And close the Find and Replace dialog as you need.
Word will find and remove all endnotes within document via Find and Replace function.
With the Remove Endnotes feature of Kutools for Word, you can easily remove all endnotes from whole document or a certain selection with only one click.
Just click Kutools >Remove > Remove Endnotes, and all endnotes will be deleted in bulk immediately from the current document.
If you need to remove endnotes from a part of current document, just select this part firstly, and then click Kutools >Remove > Remove Endnotes.
Then a dialog box will come out and ask for your reconfirmation. Just click the Yes button, and all endnotes will be deleted from the whole Word document or your selection at once.
Recommended Word Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done one-time processing in seconds.
- Insert multiple images across folders into Word document at once.
- Merge and combine multiple Word files across folders into one with your desired order.
- Split the current document into separate documents according to heading, section break or other criteria.
- Convert files between Doc and Docx, Docx and PDF, collection of tools for common conversions and selection, and so on...
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoWOW ! Great information thank you for sharing this information
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoIn my Word document for a book, the endnotes appear at the end of each chapter (as I wanted them to do). But, those same endnotes collected at the very end of the Word document (one after the other, in the same order as they appeared chapter by chapter) as well. How can I remove only those duplicate endnotes that appear at the end of the document and retain the ones at the end of each chapter?
There should only be endnotes at the end of each chapter -- NOT at the end of the book as well.
Many thanks for any instructions you can provide!
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoDeleting endnotes in Word document.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoThank u so much. :D
with the sport of this software i easily remove endnote and its sign that repeated to my document many time.Thanks again.my problem is solve now.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoNone of the above methods worked for me until I found this tip: go to Endnote toolbar on top:
In the Bibliography section which is in the middle, click on “Convert Citations and Bibliography”.
Then click “Convert to Plain Text”. This allows you to save a copy of your document without formatted CWYW field codes. Formatted citations and bibliography are saved as text.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoThanks Sue. Your tip worked perfectly
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 years ago:-) thank you............