When you change your computer, you may want to transfer the custom dictionaries which contain a lot of specialized technical terms, foreign words or alternative spelling of some words you often use in Microsoft Word on that computer. First all of all, you need to export and import custom dictionaries. This tutorial will introduce you how to quickly export and import custom dictionaries in Microsoft Word.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Word
Amazing! Use Efficient Tabs in Word (Office) like Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer!
Normally, we can manually Export and import custom dictionaries. But it is very tedious to find the location of custom dictionaries. In addition, this method can only import a custom dictionary at one time.
Step 1: On the source computer, copy the custom dictionaries in C:\Users\James\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof to an intermediate location that the destination computer can access.
Step 2: On the destination computer, click File > Options, select the Proofing and click the Custom Dictionaries (In Word 2007, click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Word Options).
Step 3: Click Add to import the custom dictionaries from intermediate location.
Note: If you have several dictionaries to export, you have to repeat step3 several times. Some examples of intermediate locations that the destination computer can access include an e-mail account, a floppy disk, or a CD
Actually there is a more convenient and quicker way to import and export custom dictionaries. What is more, you can import and export multiple dictionaries at one time. You do not need to find the custom dictionaries or to copy them. After you have installed Kutool for Word, the Import /Export Custom Dictionaries will help you quickly import and export custom dictionaries.
Click the Enterprise > Import/Export > Custom Dictionaries to export or import the custom dictionaries. See the screenshot:
1. You can select the custom dictionaries in the dialogue, and then click Export to export the custom dictionaries.
2. Click Import to import the custom dictionaries.
3. Besides, you specify the custom dictionary you want to set as default custom dictionaries in dialogue box by selecting the custom dictionary and then click Active.
For more detailed information about Import \Export Custom Dictionaries of Kutools for Word, please visit: Import\Export Custom Dictionaries description.
Recommended Word Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done one-time processing in seconds.
- Insert multiple images across folders into Word document at once.
- Merge and combine multiple Word files across folders into one with your desired order.
- Split the current document into separate documents according to heading, section break or other criteria.
- Convert files between Doc and Docx, Docx and PDF, collection of tools for common conversions and selection, and so on...