How to search and replace across multiple files in word?
If you have several dozen word files which contain the same content (such as Header, footer, some special words or number), and you need to replace the same content across those documents in Word. How would it be easier for you to get it done quickly? Certainly, you can open those files one by one to replace the same content, but it will be time-consuming and troublesome. This tutorial will show you a tricky way to replace same content within multiple documents in Word at once.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Word
1. Press Alt + F11 to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module, then copy the following VBA code into the Module window.
VBA Code: Searching and replacing same content across multiple documents at one time
Sub CommandButton1_Click() 'Updated by Extendoffice 20180625 Dim xFileDialog As FileDialog, GetStr(1 To 100) As String '100 files is the maximum applying this code Dim xFindStr As String Dim xReplaceStr As String Dim xDoc As Document On Error Resume Next Set xFileDialog = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFilePicker) With xFileDialog .Filters.Clear .Filters.Add "All WORD File ", "*.docx", 1 .AllowMultiSelect = True i = 1 If .Show = -1 Then For Each stiSelectedItem In .SelectedItems GetStr(i) = stiSelectedItem i = i + 1 Next i = i - 1 End If Application.ScreenUpdating = False xFindStr = InputBox("Find what:", "Kutools for Word", xFindStr) xReplaceStr = InputBox("Replace with:", "Kutools for Word", xReplaceStr) For j = 1 To i Step 1 Set xDoc = Documents.Open(FileName:=GetStr(j), Visible:=True) Windows(GetStr(j)).Activate Selection.Find.ClearFormatting Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting With Selection.Find .Text = xFindStr 'Find What .Replacement.Text = xReplaceStr 'Replace With .Forward = True .Wrap = wdFindAsk .Format = False .MatchCase = False .MatchWholeWord = False .MatchByte = True .MatchWildcards = False .MatchSoundsLike = False .MatchAllWordForms = False End With Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll Application.Run macroname:="NEWMACROS" ActiveDocument.Save ActiveWindow.Close Next Application.ScreenUpdating = True End With MsgBox "Operation end, please view", vbInformation End Sub
3. Press the F5 key to run the code.
4. In the opening Browse window, please find and select the documents you will find and replace text inside, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
5. In the first Kutools for Word dialog box, enter the text you will find across documents into the Find what box, and then click the OK button.
6. In the second Kutools for Word dialog box, enter the text you will replace with, and click the OK button.
8. Click the OK button in the next Microsoft Word dialog box to finish the find and replace.
In this case, all words "Word" in selected documents are replaced with "Excel" at the same time.
Recommended Word Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done one-time processing in seconds.
- Insert multiple images across folders into Word document at once.
- Merge and combine multiple Word files across folders into one with your desired order.
- Split the current document into separate documents according to heading, section break or other criteria.
- Convert files between Doc and Docx, Docx and PDF, collection of tools for common conversions and selection, and so on...