Using random generator to insert random numbers, dates and passwords in Excel
Normally if you want to insert or generate random numbers in Excel, you have to learn how to use the Excel’s RAND or RANDBETWEEN function to generate random numbers. Generally speaking, it’s not easy for you to quickly generate random numbers in Excel. For enhancing your work, now we recommend you a powerful Insert Random Datautility ofKutools for Excel. With this utility, you can quickly insert random data into specified range in Excel.
Recommended Productivity SoftwareOffice Tab: Use tabbed interface in Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: Adds 120 powerful new features to Excel. Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Brings back your familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
Click Kutools >> Insert >> Insert Random Data. See screenshots:
For generating random numbers between 100 and 500 in a specified range, you can quickly get it done as follows.
1. Select the range that you want to generate / insert random numbers.
2. Apply this utility by clicking Kutools > Insert > Insert Random Data. In the Insert Random Data dialog box, you need to:
1). Click the Integer tab;
2). Specify 100 and 500 separately in From and To boxes, and click the Ok or Apply button. See screenshot:
Note: Click the OK button, the dialog box will be closed after inserting the random numbers, but if you click the Apply button, after inserting the random numbers, the dialog box will keep opening for further using)
You will see the results as follows. see screenshot:
Sometimes, you need to generate / insert random dates into a range, such as the date of workdays or weekends of a period of date, you can do as follows.
1. Specify the range that you want to insert random date.
2. Go to the Insert Random Data dialog box, click Date, and modify the dates to meet your need. See screenshot:
A: Specify the date range.
B: If you check the Workday box, all workday dates between two specified dates will be generated randomly, so does Weekend.
3. Click OK or Apply. You will see the results as follows. See screenshot:
If you need to generate / insert random time into a specified range, please do as follows.
1. Specify the range that you want to insert random time.
2. In the Insert Random Data dialog box, click the Time tab, specify times separately in the From and To boxes, and then click the OK or Apply button. See screenshot:
3. After changing cells format to time format, you will see the results as follows. See screenshot:
Supposing you want to generate or insert random date strings in a range, and use the random data strings as password, yo can do as follows:
1. Select the range you want to generate / insert data strings (password).
2. In the Insert Random Data dialog box, click String tab, specify the characters and the string length, and then click the Ok or Apply button. See screenshot:
4. You can see the inserted data strings as below screenshot shown.
Furthermore, you can also generate or insert a specified formatting data strings (such as ????@.??.com) in a range as follows:
1. Select a range for locating the data. Under the String tab, specify the characters, check the By mask box, and then input the specified data string into the By mask box. See screenshot:
Note: Here we Use the ? symbol to indicate a digit of random character in the final specified formatting strings.
2. After clicking OK or Apply. The specified formatting data strings is generated randomly in the selected range as follows. See screenshot:
With this utility, you can also quickly generate or insert a custom list in cells.
1. Select a range you need to insert the custom list.
2. In the Insert Random Data dialog box, click Custom list tab.
3. You can use the default custom lists as you need, or create a new custom list with clicking the button and entering your custom data, and finally clicking the OK button in the Create Sequence dialog box. See screenshot:
A: You can quickly extract data from cells to create a new custom list.
4. Now the custom list is created, select it and click OK or Apply button to finish the inserting.
4. Then click OK or Apply. The new data have been inserted into the specified range. see screenshot:
1. This utility supports Undo operation, so you can press Undo (Ctrl+Z) immediately to restore it.
2. Unique values option will only generate or insert unique values in the range.
Video 1. Insert Random Data feature demo.
The following tools can greatly save your time and money, which one is right for you?
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: More than 120 Advanced Functions for Excel 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365.
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
The functionality described above is just one of 120 powerful functions of Kutools for Excel.
Designed for Excel(Office) 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365. Free download and use for 60 days.