Using random number generator to generate numbers and password in Excel
Normally if you want to generate random number in Excel, you have to learn how to use the Excel’s RAND or RANDBETWEEN function to generate random number for you. Generally speaking, it’s not easy for you to quickly generate random number in Excel. But with this powerful Insert Random Data utility of Kutools for Excel, you can quickly:
Classic Menu for Office: Bring Back Old Look to Office 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
Office Tab: Bring Tabbed Editing and Browsing Features to Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 8/9/10.
Click Kutools >> Insert Tools >> Insert Random Data. See screenshots:
Supposing you want to generate random numbers between 100 and 500, with this tool you can quickly generate / insert random numbers in the selected range.
1. Select the range that you want to generate / insert random numbers.
2. Apply this utility by clicking Kutools > Insert Tools > Insert Random Data, and then click Integer in the Insert Random Data dialog box.
3. Specify the Form value and To value that you need into the box. See screenshot:
4. Click OK or Apply, (if you click OK, the dialog box will be closed, and if you click Apply, the dialog box will not be closed, and you can still apply other options). You will see the results as follows. see screenshot:
Sometimes, you need to generate / insert random date into a range, such as the date of workdays or weekends of a period of date, you can do as follows.
1. Specify the range that you want to insert random date.
2. Go to the Insert Random Data dialog box, click Date, and modify the date to meet your need. Specify the type of date or not. See screenshot:
A: Specify the date range.
B: If you check Workday, all of the dates of workdays in certain time will be generated randomly, so does Weekend.
3. Click OK or Apply. You will see the results as follows. See screenshot:
Supposing you want to generate or insert random date strings in a range, and use the random data strings as password, yo can do as follows:
1. Select the range you want to generate / insert data strings (password).
2. Go to the Insert Random Data dialog box, click String.
3. Specify the characters and the length of string, see screenshot:
4. Then click OK or Apply. See screenshot:
Further more, you can also generate or insert a specified formatting data strings (such as ????@.??.com) in a range as follows:
1. Select a range and specify the characters and check By mask. Then input the specified data strings you need. See screenshot:
Note: Using ? to indicate a digit of random character in the final specified formatting strings.
2. Then click OK or Apply. The specified formatting data strings have been generated randomly as follows. See screenshot:
With this utility, you can also quickly generate or insert a custom list in cells.
1. Select a range you need to insert the custom list.
2. Apply this utility, and in the Insert Random Data dialog box, click Custom list. You can select the data in the list you like or click Add to create a list. See screenshot:
A: You can quickly extract data from cells to create a new custom list.
3. Click OK and the new list has been added into the list, also you can edit and remove the custom list.
4. Then click OK or Apply. The new data have been inserted into the specified range. see screenshot:
1. This utility supports Undo operation, so you can press Undo (Ctrl+Z) immediately to restore it.
2. Unique values option will only generate or insert unique values in the range.
Video 1. Insert Random Data feature demo.