How to remove spaces between characters and numbers within cells in Excel?
When you copy some data into Excel, there may be some spaces between characters or numbers, and how can you remove all spaces? This tutorial can introduce some tips for you to remove all spaces in the range of cells.
Recommended Productivity SoftwareOffice Tab: Use tabbed interface in Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: Adds 120 powerful new features to Excel. Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Brings back your familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
1. In a blank cell B1 which is adjacent to the original data cell, enter the formula =Substitute(A1," ",""), and then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
2. Select B1, then drag the fill handle over the range of cells that you want to apply this formula. Then the original contents are extracted to the new column with all spaces between characters removed. See screenshot:
Tips: Please replace the original content with copying the new contents and pasting them as values.
Sometimes, we want to remove all spaces between character and numbers in a range, we can use Replace function to solve it.
1. Highlight the range that you want to remove all spaces.
2. Click Home > Find & Select > Replace…, the Find and Replace dialog box will pop out.
3. In the Find what box, press the space bar once, don’t input anything in the Replace with box, then click Replace All. There will be a prompt message telling you how many spaces have been removed. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK, all of the spaces between the values are deleted. See screenshots:
There is a flexible way to remove extra spaces, all spaces, leading spaces, trailing spaces or leading and trailing spaces in a range. If you have Kutools for Excel, you can use the Remove Spaces feature to quickly remove any types of spaces in the range with one click.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 120 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days. Get it Now.
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, you can remove the spaces as follows:
1. Select the range you want to remove spaces.
2. Click Kutools > Text > Remove Spaces. See screenshot:
3. Then a Remove Spaces dialog box will display, choose the Spaces Type that you want to remove, and you can preview the results from the Preview pane. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK or Apply to finish it.
Note: From the Spaces Type, we can see there are many other spaces types that we can quickly remove with this Remove Spaces tool. For more detailed information about Remove Spaces, please visit here.
Is your problem solved?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 120 powerful new functions for Excel, Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
More than 120 powerful advanced functions which designed for Excel:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...