How to remove spaces between characters and numbers within cells in Excel?
When you copy some data into Excel, there may be some spaces between characters or numbers, and how can you remove all spaces? This tutorial can introduce some tips for you to remove all spaces in the range of cells.
Classic Menu for Office: brings back classic menus to Office 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
Office Tab: brings tabbed interface to Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
By typing the formula in Excel, all spaces between characters will be removed. Do as the following steps:
1. In a blank cell B1 which is adjacent to the data cell, enter the formula =Substitute(A1," ",""), see screenshot:
2. Press Enter key and select B1, then drag the fill handle over the range of cells that you want to apply this formula. And all spaces between characters have been removed from the range. See screenshot:
Tips: As they are formulas, so when you copy and paste them to other places, you need to paste them as values.
Sometimes, we want to remove all spaces between character and numbers in a range, we can use Replace function to solve it.
1. Highlight the range that you want to remove all spaces.
2. Click Home > Find & Select > Replace…, the Find and Replace dialog box will pop out.
3. In the Find what box, press the space bar once, don’t input anything in the Replace with box, then click Replace All. There will be a prompt message telling you how many spaces have been removed. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK, all of the spaces between the values have been deleted. See screenshots:
There is a flexible way to remove extra spaces, all spaces, leading spaces, trailing spaces or leading and trailing spaces in a range. If you have Kutools for Excel, you can use the Remove Spaces feature to quickly remove any types of spaces in the range with one click.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 120 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days. Get it Now.
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, you can remove the spaces as follows:
1. Select the range you want to remove spaces.
2. Click Kutools > Text Tools > Remove Spaces. See screenshot:
3. Then a Remove Spaces dialog box will display, choose the Spaces Type that you want to remove, and you can preview the results from the Preview pane. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK or Apply to finish it.
Note: From the Spaces Type, we can see there are many other spaces types that we can quickly remove with this Remove Spaces tool. For more detailed information about Remove Spaces, please visit here.