Skip to main content
Support is Online
We're back! We are here to assist you. Please be patient, we will respond to your tickets shortly.
Official support hours
Monday To Friday
From 09:00 To 17:30
  Thursday, 06 December 2018
  0 Replies
  2.4K Visits
Votes
Undo
Hi,

How am I able to retrieve the row and column number for a cell value which I do not know the column or row in which it exists? Is this possible? I have looked everywhere, but can't seem to find anything building on the index and match functions which don't help in this instance. A lot of the data I work with is all jumbled, have no row or column headings, and besides using CTRL F to find what I am looking for, I can't seem to figure out a way where I can search for a value within multiple columns and rows. Also, I am trying to work this out without the use of macros or additional add-ons for excel.

Attached is an image of a simple table for what I am trying to convey. Also below is the same data, however will probably lose its formatting once I post this topic

A B C D E F G H
1 aa ff kk pp uu qq
2 bb gg ll qq vv 2
3 cc hh mm rr ww 4
4 dd ii nn ss xx
5 ee jj oo tt yy

Say the raw data exists in the range A1:E5 (in reality I have 10s of thousands of rows and up to 100 columns of raw data). One cell within this range holds the value "qq", however I don't know which row or which column. If I now enter the value "qq" within Cell H1 (pretend Cell H1 is like a google search box), I want Cell H2 to return the row "qq" exists in, and Cell H3 to return the column "qq" exists in. Again, I don't know at all which row or column "qq" may belong in, hence I cannot use the index and match function as this function requires some prior knowledge of which row or column "qq" belongs in.

Is anyone able to assist?

Thanks - Marty
There are no replies made for this post yet.