Quickly count the occurrences of a character in a string in Excel
Kutools for Excel
Supposing, you have a list of test strings in a worksheet, now you want to count the number of times a specific character or letter appears within a cell. Are you still counting the occurrences of that specified character one by one manually? Kutools for Excel’s COUNTCHAR function can quickly count specific character appearing times in a cell.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words...
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum...
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns...
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Create Mailing List and Send Emails by Cell's Value...
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Click Kutools >> Kutools Functions >> Statistical & Math >> COUNTCHAR, see screenshot:
Take the following data for example, I want to count the number of the letter “c” which appears in the cell A1, please do as follows:
1. Select one cell where you want to put the result.
2. Apply COUNTCHAR function by clicking Kutools > Kutools Functions > Statistical & Math > COUNTCHAR, in the popped out Function Arguments dialog box, click the first button besides Within-text to select the cell which you want to count the specific character, and then enter the character “c” that you want to count the occurrences of the text string, see screenshot:
3. And then click OK to close the dialog, you will get the number of times that specific character appears, see screenshot:
1. This function is case sensitive.
2. With this utility, you can also count any other special characters, such as , ;*?/!~ and so on.
The following tools can greatly save your time and money, which one is right for you?
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: More than 300 Advanced Functions for Excel 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365.
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
The functionality described above is just one of 300 powerful functions of Kutools for Excel.
Designed for Excel(Office) 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365. Free download and use for 60 days.