Quickly count the occurrences of a character in a string in Excel
Kutools for Excel
Boosts Excel With 300+
Supposing, you have a list of test strings in a worksheet, now you want to count the number of times a specific character or letter appears within a cell. Are you still counting the occurrences of that specified character one by one manually? Kutools for Excel’s COUNTCHAR function can quickly count specific character appearing times in a cell.
Click Kutools >> Kutools Functions >> Statistical & Math >> COUNTCHAR, see screenshot:
Take the following data for example, I want to count the number of the letter “c” which appears in the cell A1, please do as follows:
1. Select one cell where you want to put the result.
2. Apply COUNTCHAR function by clicking Kutools > Kutools Functions > Statistical & Math > COUNTCHAR, in the popped out Function Arguments dialog box, click the first button besides Within-text to select the cell which you want to count the specific character, and then enter the character “c” that you want to count the occurrences of the text string, see screenshot:
3. And then click OK to close the dialog, you will get the number of times that specific character appears, see screenshot:
1. This function is case sensitive.
2. With this utility, you can also count any other special characters, such as , ;*?/!~ and so on.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days. Download and free trial Now!
The following tools can greatly save your time and money, which one is right for you?
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: More than 300 Advanced Functions for Excel 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365.
The functionality described above is just one of 300 powerful functions of Kutools for Excel.
Designed for Excel(Office) 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365. Free download and use for 30 days.