How to skip cells when dragging formula in Excel?
When working on an Excel worksheet, sometimes, you may want to skip every other or nth cells when dragging and applying a formula to other cells as below screenshot shown. How could you complete this task in Excel?
Skip cells when dragging formula with OFFSET and ROW functions
In Excel, with the combination of the OFFSET and ROW functions, you can create a formula to easily skip cells when dragging it in a column.
Enter or copy the following formula into a blank cell, and then drag the fill handle down to extract every other cell from the column A starting at the first cell until zeros are appeared as below screenshot shown:
Note: In this formula, A2 is the first cell of the data list from where to extract values.. The number 2 means to skip every second cells when dragging the formula. If you need to skip every third cells, please change the number to 3.
: To get every other cell that starts from the second cell within the specific data range, please use this formula: =OFFSET($A$2,ROW(D1)*2-1,0)
, and then drag the fill handle down to get the results until zeros are appeared, see screenshot:
Skip cells when dragging formula with INDEX and ROWS functions
There is another formula which is created with the INDEX and ROWS functions may do you a favor, please do as this:
Copy or enter the below formula into a blank cell, and then drag the fill handle down to get every other cell which starts at the first cell until errors are appeared as below screenshot shown:
: To extract the values that starts from the second cell within the specific data range, please use the below formula: =INDEX($A$2:$A$13,ROWS($D$1:D1)*2)
Note: In the above formulas, the ROWS function returns the row number of every 2 cells, and the INDEX function locates the corresponding rows in the range $A$2:$A$13 and returns the values in the rows of the range.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns and Keeping Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows and Sum/Average... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Favorite and Quickly Insert Formulas, Ranges, Charts and Pictures; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- Pivot Table Grouping by week number, day of week and more... Show Unlocked, Locked Cells by different colors; Highlight Cells That Have Formula/Name...
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!
Please leave your comments in English