Quickly extract certain text from cells in Excel
Kutools for Excel
When you work on Excel workbook, you may need to extract certain text from the worksheet cells. For example, extract the text strings between two symbols, extract the domains from Email addresses, and so on. Unfortunately, apart from extracting specific text string from each cell manually, Excel seems not provide direct ways to deal with these problems, but, with the Extract Text feature of Kutools for Excel, this task will be solved quickly and conveniently.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Click Kutools >> Text >> Extract Text. See screenshots:
For example, if you have the following text strings, and now you need to extract the text between the parentheses, the Kutools for Excel’s Extract Text utility will do you a favor, please do as follows:
1. Select the text strings that you want to extract certain text from.
2. Then apply this utility by clicking Kutools > Text > Extract Text, and in the Extract Text dialog box, enter (*) into the Text box, and click Add button to add this extract condition to the Extract list box, see screenshot:
(1) The * in the criteria matches any string characters including numbers, alphas, symbols and so on except space.
(2) If other extract rules exist in the Extract list section, please uncheck all except the new added one before clicking Ok button.
3. And then click OK button, and in the popped out box, please select one cell where you want to output the result, see screenshot:
4. Then click OK button to close the dialog, and the text strings with the parentheses have been extracted, see screenshot:
Note: If you don’t need the parentheses around the text, you can apply our Remove by Position feature to remove the parentheses.
With this Extract Text utility, you can extract the domains from the Email addresses as well.
1. Select the Email addresses which you want to extract their domains.
2. Then apply this utility by clicking Kutools > Text > Extract Text, and in the Extract Text dialog box, enter @* into the Text box, and click Add button to add this condition to the Extract list box, see screenshot:
(1.) The * in the criteria matches any string characters including numbers, alphas, symbols and so on except space.
(2.) If you have created multiple extract criteria you want, you can check the ones you use, and leave the others uncheck.
3. And then click OK button, and in the popped out box, please select one cell where you want to put the result, see screenshot:
4. Then click OK button to close the dialog, and the domains have been extracted from the email addresses, see screenshot:
1. If you don’t need the character @ before the domains, you can apply our Remove by Position feature to remove the character @ as you need.
2. Share this feature to your friend or social media button: If you like this feature and want to share it to your friends or other social media, please click this button in the Extract Text dialog box. See screenshot:
The following tools can greatly save your time and money, which one is right for you?
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: More than 300 Advanced Functions for Excel 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365.
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
The functionality described above is just one of 300 powerful functions of Kutools for Excel.
Designed for Excel(Office) 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365. Free download and use for 60 days.
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agothe extract text function doesn't work for me. I'm trying to extract specific words such as Ltd and Limited from lists of company names. The function simply loops without extracting the words requested.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoHi,
i am using this tools and found this good. But i am having some problem while using Extract Text option in Text Tools. I want to extract tab_cat_id=# (# could be any number 1 or 2 etc) from a URL.
Can you please guide me on this.