Quickly split cell contents by space / newline / comma / period or other delimiters in Excel
Kutools for Excel
It may be common for us to split cell contents into multiple columns or rows by some specific delimiters, such as comma, space, newline, etc. In Excel, we can apply the Text To Column utility to split the cell values to multiple columns, but, are you tired of using the wizard step by step to finish the splitting? Besides, the Text to Column utility cannot split cell to rows. Here, I can recommend a powerful tool-Kutools for Excel, with its Split Cells feature, you can quickly split multiple cell contents into columns or rows by certain delimiters.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel/Office
For Example, I have the following list of cell values, now, I want to split the contents of each cell by the commas:
Please deal with this task with following steps:
1. Select the cell values that you want to split into multiple columns or rows.
2. Then apply the Split Cells feature by clicking Kutools > Text > Split Cells, see screenshot:
3. In the Split Cells dialog box, you need to:
1). Choose the separator that you want to split the cells based on, of course, you can also specify other delimiters you need under the Other text box.
2). For splitting cells to multiple columns, please select the Split to Columns option. Otherwise, select the Split to Rows option to split cells to multiple rows.
3). Click the OK button. See screenshot:
4. Another dialog box is popped out to remind you select a cell to put the split result, see screenshot:
5. Then click OK, and the selected cell contents have been split by the comma. See screenshots:
Split to columns:
Split to rows:
For example, I have a list of text strings mixed with text and numbers as below screenshot shown. Now, I will split the text and number from each cell and place them into two cells/columns/rows.
1. Select the list of text strings you want to split the text and numbers, and click Kutools > Text > Split Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Split Cells dialog box, please check the Split to Columns option or Split to Rows options as you need in the Type section, check the Text and number option in the Split by section, and click the Ok button. See screenshot:
3. Now the second Split Cells dialog box comes out. Please select the first cell of destination range, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
And now the text and numbers are split and placed into different columns or rows. See below screenshots:
Split to columns:
Split to rows:
Note: This utility supports Undo (Ctrl + Z).
The following tools can greatly save your time and money, which one is right for you?
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: More than 300 Advanced Functions for Excel 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365.
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
The functionality described above is just one of 300 powerful functions of Kutools for Excel.
Designed for Excel(Office) 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365. Free download and use for 60 days.