How to combine multiple workbooks to one workbook in Excel?
Have you ever been stuck when you have to combine multiple workbooks into a single workbook in Excel? The most terrible thing is that the workbook you need to combine contains multiple worksheets. Can anyone suggest a good way to handle this problem?
Combine multiple workbooks to one workbook with VBA
For advanced users, complicated.
Combine multiple workbooks to one workbook with Move or Copy command
Combine multiple workbooks to one workbook with Kutools for Excel
Easy, simple. <<Combine Multiple Workbooks>> is just one of 200 powerful features of Kutools Free Download
Recommended Productivity Tools
For the skilled and professional programmers, you can use VBA scripts to combine multiple workbooks into one master workbook. You can deal with this with the following steps:
1. Put all the workbooks that you want to combine into the same directory. See screenshot:
2. Launch an Excel file that you want to combine other workbooks into.
3. Click Developer > Visual Basic, a new Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window will be displayed, click Insert > Module, and input the following code into the Module:
Sub GetSheets() Path = "C:\Users\dt\Desktop\dt kte\" Filename = Dir(Path & "*.xls") Do While Filename <> "" Workbooks.Open Filename:=Path & Filename, ReadOnly:=True For Each Sheet In ActiveWorkbook.Sheets Sheet.Copy After:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1) Next Sheet Workbooks(Filename).Close Filename = Dir() Loop End Sub
Tip: In the above code, you can change the path to the one that you are using.
4. Then click button to run the code, and all of the worksheets (including the blank worksheets) within the workbooks have been merged into the master workbook.
Note: This VBA code can merge the entire workbooks into the master workbook, if you want to combine specified worksheets of the workbooks, this code will not work.
If you are a rookie of Microsoft Excel, you have no choice but only have to copy the data of every sheet and paste them in to a new workbook one by one and applying the Move or Copy command. Using the Move or Copy command will help you export or copy one or several worksheets to a new workbook quickly.
1. Open all workbooks that you want to merge into a single workbook.
2. Select all of the worksheet names of a workbook in tab bar. You can select multiple with holding down Ctrl key or Shift key. Right click the worksheet name, and click the Move or Copy from context menu.
3. In Move or Copy dialog box, select the master workbook that you want to merge other workbooks into from the drop down list of Move selected sheets to book. And then specify the location of the merged worksheets. See screenshots:
4. Then click OK. The selected worksheets have been moved to the master workbook.
5. Repeat the steps from 2 to 4 to move other workbooks to the master workbook. Then it combines all worksheets of opened workbooks into a single workbook. See screenshots:
Fortunately, for rookies and new hands of Microsoft Excel, there are some available tools to help you quickly combine hundreds of workbooks into one. The function Combine in Kutools for Excel makes it much easier to combine multiple Excel files. The application is used for releasing the repetitive and redundant operations in Excel. It actually plays an important role if you have to deal with a large amount of Excel file in your daily work. Now, let's see how to get this function work in combining multiple workbooks.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy functions, makes your jobs easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Enable Excel and click Enterprise > Combine.
There is a dialog pops out to remind you that the active workbook cannnot to be combined, click OK to continue. See screenshot:
3.. In the Combine Worksheets wizard, select Combine multiple worksheets from workbooks into one workbook. Then click Next to go on. See screenshot:
2. On step2 of wizard, all the opened workbooks and worksheets are listed in the list boxes, click Add button to add other files or folders that you want to combine. Then in the poppding dialog to select the workbooks you want to combine, click Open to go back to Combine dialog, and you can check the workbooks or sheets you need to combine. See screenshot:
3. After specifying the worksheets that you want to merge, then continue to click the Next button, on step 3 of wizard, you can do the following options:
- (1.) If your workbooks contain some blank worksheets, you can keep or skip the blank worksheets as you need by clicking Skip drop down list.
- (2.) You can rename the new combined worksheets by inserting the workbook names before or after the original worksheets, or you can just keep the original worksheet names by not checking By inserting workbook name option.
4. Then click Finish button and choose a folder to merge and save the workbooks, and then a dialog pops out to ask you if to open the merged workbook. See screenshot:
Tip: you will be asked if you want to save this scenario. If you want to save this scenario, please click Yes, and enter the name of the scenario, (see following screenshots), if you don’t want to save this scenario, please click No. When you want to use this scenario, you just only need to click Scenario button to choose the name of the scenario you need on step2 wizard.
5. Then the specified worksheets have been merged into a new workbook, and the worksheets are named with the workbook name before original worksheet name. A new worksheet named Kutools is also generated at the front of all the worksheets at the same time, which lists the workbooks with detailed information of each worksheets. See screenshot:
Note: If your worksheet name is too long, maybe the name characters are greater than 31characters, the combined name will not be displayed, and only show the original sheet name.
- Split a workbook to separate Excel files
- Insert worksheets from another workbook
- Export and save sheets and worksheets as new workbook
- Merge worksheets / workbooks into one worksheet
- Combine worksheets of same name into one worksheet
- Summarize data from worksheets / workbooks into one worksheet
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 months agoThis doesn't seem to mention the easiest method (at least for a limited number of sheets): simply drag the tab at the bottom of each sheet to the new workbook.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 months agoHello All, please help me.
I have one old worksheet list with their email address and one new worksheet, how can I merge this two list and take the duplicates and have the one with email address from duplicates
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 months agoUse the remove duplicates option in Excel 2016
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 months agoThank you for providing the VBA code!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 months agoHi everyone,
First of all I have to tell that I have no experience with Macro (VBA Codes). However what I need is related to this. Maybe you guys could help me with it.
I have a workbook and in this workbook there are 10 worksheets. The first 9 Sheets have the same order of the coloumns of titles and in these columns there are names, dates, percentages of Project Status, comments to Projects etc.. As I said the columns have the same order just the name of the worksheets (for different Teams in the Organisation) are different.
In Addition to this I have to merge all the worksheets and have them in another sheet which is called "Übersicht" (Overview). However there is a different column in the sheet and it's between "Nr." and "Thema" columns (which are in A1 and A2 in all the 9 Sheets) and this different column called "Kategorie" (in A2 in Übersicht-Overwiev sheet). As this column is between These the order is like this "Nr. (A1), Kategorie (A2) and Thema (A3).....".So this category column (Kategorie) should be empty except this all the Information should be merged into this sheet. And also when there is a Change or update in any worksheet, the Information in "Übersicht" (Overview) sheet needs to update by itself. How can I do this?
I hope I explained it well. Thanks a lot in advance!
I wish you merry Christmas and a happy new year!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 months agoThank you for the VB code it has helped me with my job to make it easy.
- ← Previous
- Next →