Excel: How to fix/lock background color in a sheet
Sometimes, when you share a sheet with others to edit, you may want to lock the background color in a range of cells and prevent them to be changed. In this case, you can protect the sheet and not allow others to change cell format to achieve this job.
Fix background color in a sheet
Fix background color in a sheet
1. Firstly, before protecting the sheets, you need to make sure that if the cells you want to fix the background color are locked. Select the cells, and right-click to choose Format Cells from the context menu.
2. In the Format Cells dialog, under Protection tab, keep Locked checkbox ticked (default, it is checked). Click OK.
3. Click Review tab, and go to click Protect Sheet.
4. In the Protect Sheet dialog, enter the password into the textbox, uncheck Format cells option only, and click OK.
5. In the popping Confirm Password dialog, retype the password again. Click OK.
Now all the cell formatting (including background color) in the worksheet cannot be changed.
Tip: if you want to fix background color across multiple sheets, except protecting the sheets one by one, you can apply the Protect Worksheets feature of Kutools for Excel to protect multiple sheets at once.
For more details about this feature, please visit the tutorial.
For 30-day free trial of Kutools for Excel, please download from here.
Other Operations (Articles)
How to alternate row color based on group in Excel?
In Excel, to color every other row may be easier for most of us, but, have you ever tried to color the rows alternately based on a column value changes – Column A as following screenshot shown, in this article, I will talk about how to alternate row color based on group in Excel.
How To Reduce Excel File Size?
Sometimes, it will take minutes to open or save if the Excel file is too large. For solving this problem, here in this tutorial, it tells you how to reduce the Excel file size by removing the contents or formats which are unnecessary or never used.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns and Keeping Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows and Sum/Average... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Favorite and Quickly Insert Formulas, Ranges, Charts and Pictures; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- Pivot Table Grouping by week number, day of week and more... Show Unlocked, Locked Cells by different colors; Highlight Cells That Have Formula/Name...
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!
Please leave your comments in English