Create a truncated Y-axis column chart with an easy way
When creating a column chart based on some extraordinary big and small data, the small series will not look precise enough in the chart (see below left chart). In this case, you may want to break the Y-axis to make the small data look more accurate (see below right chart). Normally, in Excel, it may be difficult for us to solve this task. But, if you have installed Kutools for Excel, with its Truncate the Y-axis Chart feature, you can quickly create a column chart that breaks the Y-axis scale at certain start and end data points you specified.
Create a truncated Y-axis column chart
Kutools for Excel
You can quickly break the Y-axis on a column chart by using the following steps:
1. Click Kutools > Charts > Difference Comparison > Truncate the Y-axis Chart, see screenshot:
2. In the popped-out Truncate the Y-axis Chart dialog box:
- 1) Select the data range of the axis labels and series values separately under the Select Data box;
- 2) Specify and enter the start and end data points based on which you want to truncate the Y-axis;
- 3) Then, click OK to close the dialog.
3. And then, a prompt box will pop out to remind you that a hidden sheet will be created to store the intermediate data, please click Yes button.
Now, a truncated Y-axis column chart is created successfully as below screenshot shown:
- When applying this feature, a hidden sheet (named Kutools_Chart) will be created to store the intermediate data, please don’t delete this hidden sheet, otherwise, the chart will be displayed incorrectly.
- Click the Example button in Truncate the Y-axis Chart dialog to generate a new workbook with the sample data.
The following tools can greatly save your time and money, which one is right for you?
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: More than 300 Advanced Functions for Excel 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365.
Kutools for Excel
The functionality described above is just one of 300 powerful functions of Kutools for Excel.
Designed for Excel(Office) 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365. Free download and use for 60 days.