Quickly extract numbers from mixed text string with function in Excel
Kutools for Excel
Let's say you need to extract numbers from a cell mixed with text string in Excel, apart from extracting every number one by one manually, there seems no directly function to get it done easily. But with Kutools for Excel's EXTRACTNUMBERS function, you can extract all numbers from a text string cell quickly.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Click Kutools > Kutools Functions > Text > EXTRACTNUMBERS. See screenshots:
Extract numbers from cell of mixed text string with function in Excel
Supposing there are cells mixed with text strings and numbers, and you need to extract numbers form the cells. You can get it done quickly with the EXTRACTNUMBERS function as the following steps:
1. Select a blank cell besides original cells, for example Cell B1, and click Kutools > Kutools Functions > Text > EXTRACTNUMBERS.
2. In the throwing out Function Arguments dialog box, you need to:
(1) In the Txt box, click the button to specify the cell from which you want to extract numbers. Or you can directly enter the reference cell into the Txt box;
(2) Keep the N box blank, or enter TRUE or FALSE based on your needs.
Tip: If you want the function returns numbers which are formatted and stored as text, enter FALSE or nothing; if you want the function returns numerical numbers, enter TRUE.
3. Click the OK button. Now you will see numbers are extracted into the selected cell at once.
4. To apply this function to adjacent cells, select the Cell B1 and drag its Fill Handle to adjacent cells.
Actually, you can directly enter formula =EXTRACTNUMBERS(A1,TRUE) or =EXTRACTNUMBERS(A1) (A1 is the cell with numbers and text string mixing) in a blank cell, and drag the Fill Handle to the range you need.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days. Download and free trial Now!
The following tools can greatly save your time and money, which one is right for you?
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: More than 300 Advanced Functions for Excel 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365.
The functionality described above is just one of 300 powerful functions of Kutools for Excel.
Designed for Excel(Office) 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365. Free download and use for 60 days.