Index a value by matching multiple columns in Excel
Kutools for Excel
Supposing in an Excel worksheet, there is a table containing multiple columns as below screenshot shown, column A contains Class numbers, column B, C, D contain student names. Here we want to get which class the students in the column F are in. In this case, the Index and match on multiple columns feature in Kutools for Excel can quickly index a value by matching multiple columns in Excel.Demo
Apply this feature by clicking Kutools > Formula Helper > Formula Helper, then in the popping Formula Helper dialog, choosing Lookup from the Formula Type drop-down list, and selecting Index and match on multiple columns from the list in Choose a formula section. See screenshot:
Following below steps to look up values matching criteria across multiple columns:
1. Select a cell to place the extracted string, click Kutools > Formula Helper > Formula Helper.
2. In the popping Formulas Helper dialog, you can enable the Index and match on multiple columns through two ways.
1) Choose Lookup from the drop-down list of Formula Type, then select Index and match on multiple columns in the section of Choose a formula.
2）Check Filter checkbox, then type “match” to beside textbox, then you can find the Index and match on multiple columns list in the Choose a formula section.
3. In Argument input section on the right of the Formulas Helper dialog, click to select the lookup column, table range and lookup value as you need.
Lookup column: the column that you want to return values from.
Table range: the data range excluding headers and the lookup column.
Lookup value: the value (single cell) that you want to look up.
4. Click Ok, the corresponding value to the first lookup value has been found.
If you need, drag fill handle over cells to apply this feature.
If this feature does you a favor, you could click to share this feature to your friends.
The following tools can greatly save your time and money, which one is right for you?
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: More than 300 Advanced Functions for Excel 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365.
The functionality described above is just one of 300 powerful functions of Kutools for Excel.
Designed for Excel(Office) 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365. Free download and use for 60 days.