Quickly select multiple items from drop-down lists in Excel
Kutools for Excel
If you have set data validation (drop-down list) for a cell, you can select one item from the drop-down list only. And if you select an item from the drop-down list again, the item selected later will overwrite the existing one. Is it able to append lately selected items, and make multiple selections from the drop-down list? Yes, the Multi-select Drop-down List feature of Kutools for Excel brings you a choice.
|Select one item in one cell||Select multiple items in one cell|
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Multi-select drop down list settings
If you use the Multi-select Drop-down List utility for first time, you need set the Settings firstly.
Click Kutools > Drop-down List > Multi-select Drop-down List > Settings.
In the Multi-select Drop-down List Settings dialog, please configure below options:
1) In Apply to section, you can decide which ranges or sheets, workbooks the Multi-select Drop-down list effects.
Specified Ranges: only work at the selected ranges of the current sheet.
Specified Scope: the utility works at the current sheet, current workbook, or all workbooks you opened based on the choose from the drop-down menu.
2) In Text Direction section, you can choose displaying the multi-items horizontally or vertically in the cell.
|Display horizontally||Display vertically|
3) In Separator section, type the delimiter you want to separate the items in a cell.
4) In Options section, decide the operation about duplicate items in a cell.
Do not add duplicates: tick this checkbox only, the duplicated item cannot be added to the cell. But the existed ones can be kept.
Remove Duplicates: tick this checkbox, the duplicated item cannot be added to the cell, and at the same time, the existed one will be removed onces time by one click.
|Do not add duplicate||Remove Duplicates|
Click Ok to finish the settings.
Enable Multi-select Drop-down list feature
After settings, you need to enable the Multi-select Drop-down list feature to take the settings effect.
Click Kutools > Drop-down List > Multi-select Drop-down List, you can see a tick before the tab.
Now you can select multiple items in the drop-down list in your specified scope or ranges.
1) This Multi-select Drop-down List feature will keep turning on after closing the workbook.
2) You can apply the Clear Data Validation Restrictions feature of Kutools for Excel to clear the data validation of drop-down lists from selections.
3) If you have opened the Multi-select Drop-down List Settings dialog and specified the applying range before, it will automatically specify the same applying range in the Apply to section when you open the dialog next time.
4) If there is no drop-down list existed in your specified ranges or scope, you need to create a drop-down list first, otherwise, you cannot apply the Multi-select Drop-down List feature. The feature Create simple drop-down list can help you quickly create a simple drop-down list to test this feature.
5) The Multi-select Drop-down List feature works when Kutools for Excel installed.
The following tools can greatly save your time and money, which one is right for you?
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: More than 300 Advanced Functions for Excel 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365.
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
The functionality described above is just one of 300 powerful functions of Kutools for Excel.
Designed for Excel(Office) 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365. Free download and use for 60 days.
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoTried drop down - multilple selections feature in excel 2019. It didn't work